Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I planned a homebirth in an apartment, if you lurk on DDCs you'll find quite a few apartment dwellers having HBs. My next baby will be born in this apartment as well! My midwife expressed no issues with it, and I had a birth tub set up just never used it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yep, I did it. I set up the pool in the dining room and moved the table to the wall for the midwives supplies and papers. We have a pretty soundproof building though.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
If you aren't on a first floor apt the owner might not like you having a birth pool set up. See if there is anything prohibiting waterbeds in your lease. If it leaks, bursts, or spills significantly it could do serious damage. Apart from that there shouldn't be any issues. Don't tell your neighbors you're birthing there in case they'd freak out for no reason and call 911, but if they inquire about noise (doubtful) have someone tell them you're in early labor.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
We had a home water birth in our apartment. We also have a large (80 gal) aquarium that our landlord knows about. We were sure to let them know that we have renter's insurance to cover any leakage of the aquarium. Our insurance would also cover any birth pool leakage. (We checked)

We didn't bother to talk to our apartment manager about the birth. We didn't figure it was any of their business. We did let our immediate neighbors know in advance that we were planning a homebirth. Just so that they wouldn't call 911 or anything if they heard any yelling. (For the record, they said they didn't hear anything and I gave birth EARLY on a Saturday morning. Everybody was home)

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
We were in a tiny 1-bedroom apartment and it never occurred to me that my midwife would have any issues with it. We didn't talk to anyone in the apartment complex or any of our neighbors. We had only lived there six months and there was incredible turnover in that complex - there was only 1/8 apts with the same person in it when we moved out as had been there when we moved in 15 months before. But also, I wouldn't alert my neighbors of the fact that I may be having sex and that they should ignore any noises they hear, and I consider birthing noises to be pretty much the same thing.

Water-filled furniture is NOT the same thing as a birth pool. Don't leave it unattended (i.e.: if you need to transfer, make sure it's someone's job to empty the pool asap), but it's only going to be filled for maybe a day or two at most. Mine was only full for 4-5 hours. That is a completely different situation than a waterbed or aquarium that is there permanently and frequently left unattended.

If you feel comfortable with where you live and want to birth there, do it! Whether you live in an apartment, townhouse, trailer, or single-family home, it's your home and there shouldn't be any reason to not birth there if that's what you want.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I am thinking of doing a homebirth in an apartment on the second floor. My main issue is getting the place clean enough that I'd feel comfortable having the midwife over, and feeling like it's special. I am a terrible housekeeper.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
We had a home waterbirth on the third floor of an apartment complex! No worries with the tub etc. but I am surprised no one called the cops with all the noise I made (including "HELP ME! I'M DYING!"
).

·
Registered
417 Posts
We did it. Had the tub in the baby's room. We had a summer baby so everyone's windows were closed and ACs were running, but not one neighbor said a word to us. We are friendly with those on either side and told them of our plans. Funny thing is that I think the guys downstairs are the only ones who would have heard me; but I'm guessing they misinterpreted what was going on.
I thought I was going to care about others. Truly, I never thought about it and it didn't impede me from doing what I wanted to do during my birthing time.

Go for it!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I had my baby in our apartment. We had a birth pool...pushed the dining room table aside and set it up on the floor in the corner. Our place isn't tiny but it's a New York apartment so it's not exactly spacious either. The apartment/building isn't soundproofed at all and I thought I was really loud, but the neighbors insist they heard nothing.

About it being clean...even if you don't have those last minute nesting and cleaning instincts, your midwife isn't going to care unless you live in a total sty. I'm talking like raw sewage on the floor, lots of vermin, etc. Mine basically told me she'd deliver a baby anywhere that had running water and a roof.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My midwives had attended births in one-room cabins, converted school buses, even tents, so my teensy-tiny cottage was fine with them. The school bus was even a waterbirth, they brought the pool and set it up no problem!
Midwives tend to be flexible, and they see all kinds of homes.

·
Registered
766 Posts
We're having a home water-birth in our tiny apt. DS (now 4) was born in a hospital, but we labored at home and arrived at the hospital fully dilated, so I don't think this will be very dif't.

With my son, we did alert our neighbors during my 9th month that we were having a natural birth so don't be surprised or worried if you hear some noises if I go into labor.

As for the tub, we can fit it tin, and my MW has done water HB's in smaller, more cramped apts with no problem.

Other than that, we don't feel any particular worry about those logistics!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I had my first baby in our 3rd floor apartment. I didn't end up with a waterbirth but I did have a full size birth tub setup & filled which I labored in for many hours. The mw didn't think it was odd at all, nor the woman who rented me the tub.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Both of my babes were home waterbirths in apartments. DD was on the third floor and DS on the second. This babe will be a home waterbirth as well and we may or may not still be in this apartment at the time, but if we are, here the babe will be born!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in New York where most people who homebirth do it in apartments.

All of the above advice is good, just maybe let your neighbors know ahead of time so they don't worry about you!

I'm sure your midwife can give you suggestions to make the environment more birth-friendly, but like everyone's said--babies can be born anywhere. I had my first in a hospital but am planning to have my next (whenever that may be) at home, which will most likely be an apartment if we're still in NYC.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'm doing it in a third floor condo. I'm not using a birthing tub but other than that I have no concerns. We are not neighborly so I don't plan on telling anyone. I worried that a midwife might have a problem with us being on the
3rd floor but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

·
Registered
282 Posts
We are planning a home birth in an apartment!
My midwife has come to our place a few times for prenatal appointments and didn't seem to find it weird at all, even commented on how nice our place is.

Hopefully I won't scream or anything during labour, though.
That being said with my oldest LO I laboured almost entirely at home- in an apartment - before he was born (10 min after we made it to the hospital!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.