Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homebirth in Ky<br><br><br><br>
My husband is about to start a new career and one of the places we are looking at is Kentucky. I have three DDs all of which were born at home. Homebirth is very important to me in deciding where we move.<br><br>
Can anyone point me to the place where I can learn about the laws regarding midwives and homebirth in Kentucky?<br><br>
Does anyone know of any good midwives in south/central Ky (Russelville, Bowling Green, Ft. Campbell areas)<br><br>
Thanks so much for your time! Hope you have a great day!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The laws in Ky are quite backwards. As a parent, you have the right to birth whereever you choose. Your only problem is that midwives are in a legal bind. We are required to be licenced by the state, but the state has refused to issue licences since 1975. So, practicing midwifery is a misdeamenor. Nevertheless, there are many midwives that are still in practice. The only liability is for the midwife.<br>
I do not know of any midwives the the BG area, but there may be. Also, you might find one from further north to travel to you, or one from Tenn. God Luck!<br>
jennifer

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid something like that might be the case since I found hardly any midwives for Ky on the web.<br><br>
I would assume that if a midwife from Tn came into Ky to attend a birth that she would be under the same laws as the Ky midwives? Is this so?<br><br>
I would be afraid to have someone from very far away, considering my last birth (dc#3) was only 1hr and 15 minutes long from start to finish. It ended out being an unplanned unassisted birth.<br><br>
Thanks again for the info! Hope you have a great day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts