Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are 3-4 weeks away from our moving day, and I'll be about 30 weeks along when we get to Golden, CO. We're planning a homebirth, and I'd like to find a midwife that's as hands-off as possible. I've read good things on other forums about Dana Beardshear & Jan Lapetino, if anyone would be willing to share experiences with them, that would be great. I'm also looking for a doula. Recommendations would be great, as this is a totally new area, so I'm really starting from scratch in finding people in Colorado!

Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Jan was the 2nd attending midwife at my homebirth. I really liked her a lot! She really helped me out with some homeopathic stuff for a cyst I had during pregnancy, and she was such a gentle soul. Dana was not taking clients while I was pregnant. My main midwife was Lisa Afshar, who was fine during my pregnancy, but DH and she had a rather large disagreement after my birth -- very long story

I am pretty sure they travel out into the foothills...

HTH

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dana is retiring, and I hear through the grapevine that Jan is as well, but not as soon. You may be able to get her. I loved Jan at my birth. My dd's giant head was stuck for a while and Jan was as calm as could be. She is gentle and kind, and a very calming prescence during birth. I highly recommend her.

But, if Jan isn't taking clients on, you might try Tracy Ryan. I haven't used her, but I have met and talked with her and her husband. She seems wonderful! I have heard great things about her. I have her info at work if you need it.

As far as doulas, I haven't used any, I just know a few. DyAnna Gordon is one that also teaches Bradley. She is a sweet person. I know another that is not taking clients but will give you a recommendation. Again, her info is at work.

Good luck with your birth!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UmmBnB
I'd recommend interviewing Sena Johnson. She attended both my kids births. I simply can't say enough about what an amazing mw and woman she is!

You can view her website here
Denver Midwife
Sena wasn't my midwife but her partner Sara (who no longer has the desire to be a midwife) was. Sena was there with Sara for my ds's birth. Sara had whopping cough when my dd was born so Sena came with a student midwife. I look back and I am grateful that I had wonderful midwives to share my pregnancies with!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I might be a little late on this but I just joined this site today. I'm planning to have Jan Lapatino attend our birth in July. I was Jan and Dana's client last year but unfortunately that pg ended in a m/c. They were absolutely TERRIFIC through the whole ordeal. I'm not sure I would have made it through without them. Dana is indeed retiring but not until March so you still might be able to get both of them for a Feb. delivery. I think it is most definitely worth a phone call. I can't say enough good stuff!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.