Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to interview homebirth midwives. There's a number of good threads here with general questions to midwives (this thread gives links <a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=194306" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=194306</a> ). So far I only had 1 interview, but I have realized that I also want to ask more specific questions about how they will handle different situations, and not just general questions. I asked some of those questions (like how long she feels comfortale to let the placenta come out and what she does if it doesn't come out during that time), but I would like help in putting more of thoise questions together.<br><br>
here's what I have so far:<br><br>
1. how long she is comfortable with going post dates, does she monitor mother and baby if I go over<br>
2. how long for placenta to come out. what happens if it does not come out during that time<br>
3. what if my water breaks and contractions do not start<br>
4. what if I am in labor for days<br>
5. what if my labor is just progressing slowly (not fod days, but just slow)<br>
6. postpartum bleeding handling<br>
7. breech baby handling<br>
8. shoulder distocia handling<br>
9. what emergencies could arise during labor and birth, and how they will be handled. what emergency equipment will you have on hand<br>
10. how do you monitor mom and baby during birth<br><br>
please add to my list anything you ca think of. thanks!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I think those are good things!<br><br>
Maybe how does she feel about prenatal testing, what tests does she insist upon, etc.?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Maybe you could ask how often she does episiotomies, and hopefully more pertinently, what her strategies are for protecting you from tearing as your baby emerges.<br>
Some midwives like to do a lot of perineal massage, and apply oils as the baby's head becomes visible, and others are more hands-off.<br>
I think I have heard that when we give birth in the water, our tissues are more able to allow the birth without need for extra support. I wonder if (assuming it still feels right when the times comes) this would be a good option for you to think about? The water provides some extra privacy and personal space, and it may help enable the level of hands-off care you've been looking for. Just something to think about...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ramlah, I am definitely looking at having a waterbirth for all the reasons you have mentioned. We have interviewed a midwife today who is very much into water birthing and I actually liked her. She might be the one we pick at the end.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>darsmama</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I think you might want to ask how she would react if there was meconium in your water breakage.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
this is a great one I have totally missed! Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts