Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Edited Dec. 11th: The show was bumped again! New tentative air date is Jan. 2nd.)

"20/20" is finally airing their "extreme motherhood" show. Topics covered include homebirth with midwives (featuring Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein), orgasmic birth (featuring "Orgasmic Birth" producer Debra Pascali-Bonaro, Christian Northrup, and some moms from the movie), "extreme breastfeeding" (nursing beyond infancy) and unassisted childbirth (featuring yours truly
).

A good article about orgasmic birth was posted today on the ABC news web site - http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6120045&page=1. There's also a short video about extreme breastfeeding that's currently on the "20/20" main page (although the page changes frequently) - http://abcnews.go.com/2020.

Of course, doctors who oppose these practices will also be featured but hopefully it will be a good show!
Laura

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsmom776 View Post
Although I think it's funny that they call it "extreme breastfeeding" --
Right. Wouldn't extreme breastfeeding mean something like BFing while skydiving or some other "extreme" sport. How about snowboarding and BFing. That's what I would think of with a name like that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post
Right. Wouldn't extreme breastfeeding mean something like BFing while skydiving or some other "extreme" sport. How about snowboarding and BFing. That's what I would think of with a name like that.

That's what I was thinking, too.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I'm just hoping home birthing options (including MW attended and UC) are portrayed favorably or at least not negatively. We all don't need our relatives calling following the episode to tell us how concerned they are!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The producer who interviewed me said it was "a fair and balanced segment." But of course her idea of fair and balanced may be different than ours.
She was very nice, however. An article she co-authored was just posted on the ABC news web site - http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6424603&page=1

Nothing to write home about, but not too bad. A few quotes from me and Ricki Lake and photos of both of us.
Laura

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Thank you so much! I will defintitely watch this and record it if my vcr will work
: How cool that a fellow MDC mommy will be featured!
But I am confused...is it this Friday, the 11th or January 2nd..I thought one of the articles said Jan. 2?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
Thank you so much! I will defintitely watch this and record it if my vcr will work
: How cool that a fellow MDC mommy will be featured!
But I am confused...is it this Friday, the 11th or January 2nd..I thought one of the articles said Jan. 2?
Neither, it's Friday the 12th
(tommorow)

ETA Big fat OOPS, went and looked at the article and it does say "Watch the story Friday, Jan. 2 on "20/20" at 10 p.m. ET"

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
Thank you..I was starting to worry I am hallucinating and sorry, I meant tomorrow the 12th, not the 11th. So it really is on tomorrow and the web site is wrong?
i saw a commercial for it last night and it said this friday- tomorrow, the 12th

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just wrote to the producer to ask if it was bumped again. She's usually pretty good about getting back to me, so we should know soon. Darn. I did notice that the three articles they posted are no longer prominently displayed on the web site. Instead there's stuff about the senate seat. Will keep you posted.
Laura

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.