Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those of you who have homebirthed... I recently moved to a fairly rural area, about 2 hours from the hospital I will be delivering at. There is a smaller hospital about 1 hour away, but they don't do babies or anything acute there. So, I want to be ready in case my bean sprout comes sooner than we can drive to the hospital.
On that note...

1. What did you feel was useful to have ready for a homebirth?
and also
2. From where/whom did you purchase your supplies?

I've been looking on the net & have found "basic" kits and "complete" kits, and I mainly want something that would help me out should I deliver my kidlet at home or on the way to the hospital. Not sure which would entirely meet my needs; the basic one would probably be fine...but not sure?

Ideas, mamas? Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
the only thing you need is a tie for the cord (shoelace) and a clean pair of scissors to cut the cord - after the placenta is born.

that's it! everything else is just extra. Most of it you don't need (don't need hat for the baby, don't need to suction, don't need gloves....)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello!

I'm Diane - home birth midwife in Los Angeles. I would agree with Pamela. But if you're the sort of person who just likes supplies, then I suggest looking at an "emergency birth" kit. Most birthing supply places have them www.1cascade.com has a cute kit. Has useful things like a blanket for the baby, underwear and a pad for mom, baggie for the placenta, cord clamps - and the things you will probably never use like sterile gloves.

Happy Birthing!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diane & Pam - thank you!
This puts it into perspective, too.
Had been spending some energy worrying about "what if I deliver in my backseat; what will I need?" Silly worrying.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have to add disposable blue pads to the list. I'd buy a package of them from Wal-Mart (Assurance makes some) and keep in the car in case my water breaks or whatever. They're not necessary, but really nice to have on hand.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I got my stuff from In His Hands...they were really quick and have a great selection. My only complaint was that they sent the wrong hat, so I emailed them and let them know, but told them that I'd just keep the wrong hat but wanted them to know for their inventory. I didn't get an email back...no apology, no nothing. So, that kind of made me feel like they were too busy for my one little email, but you can't beat getting the rest of the supplies in just a few days!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is good to know, all. Much appreciated!

Also, OT and a silly question for you midwives: do you think I should learn to check myself, as far as dilation goes? One of my biggest questions is "how will I know when to go to the hospital?" -- and all of the books say that 'you'll just know'...but as far as being 2+ hours away (& they're doing construction on the one road between me and the hospital!), I really don't know when I actually should have to go. I'm a caucasian primip, so I figure I have time...but how does one know?

I really want to labor at home, but fear that it isn't possible to do this and not be stuck in a construction line delivering my kidlet. I am not so worried about the delivery part - I am mostly mourning the fact that I can't relax and drink my raspberry tea in my own home without planning/worrying about logistics!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Checking yourself is pretty difficult, and dilation is something that is really easy to overestimate when you haven't checked a lot. It would be more accurate do go by your behavior during labor.

How do you feel about laboring at the hospital? Do you have a birth plan that says you want intermittent monitoring, that you are planning to labor in any position (even if your water is broken?), that you want the lights dimmed and minimal intrusions, that you are able to use the shower or tub, even with broken water? Has you doctor signed off on your birth plan? If you trust the hospital to be your labor environment, and not just your birth environment, then I would wait until labor is established (that is, you've had timeable contractions for a few hours, they are getting longer, stronger, and closer together, and you've tested them by resting, eating, showering, drinking, and they aren't going away), until your contractions were intense enough that you can't really walk or talk through them, but not so intense that you feel overwhelmed (you are working to get through them, but feel you are coping with them well), and probably when you are in a 5minutes apart and 45 seconds long pattern and THEN go to the hospital. If you meet all of those requirements when you get in the car, you are probably 4-6 cm, which gives you time to get to the hospital and settle in, but not do all of your labor at the hospital.

Another option would be to go at the first sign of labor, but get a room at a hotel very near the hospital to labor in for a while. In that case, you can wait much longer to get to the hospital. That's a good option if you are concerned about interventions and limitations on your labor while you're at the hospital.

I would also really consider hiring a doula who can help you decide in the moment if you should go or not. Or you could just labor at home until you need to push, have the baby at home, and call 9-1-1 (or not)

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
so I like the blue pads as well keeps the fluids off the seats or carpet or..... you could always just use a clean garbage bag but it isn't absorbent-- we usually catch the placenta in a chux(blue pad) as well so the blood and all can just be wrapped up.

here are some web addresses
Peaceful beginnings
http://midwifesupplies.com/

----------------

http://www.birthwithlove.com/
this is a midwife owned company located in Montana
----------------------------------------
cascade
http://www.1cascade.com/natural_products/

despite Pam's objections this has been a long standing company serving midwives, I know a very long time ago it was midwife owned-- hard to say why someone who owns this co would not like mws now but it may have to do with misdealings with some in the past.... in any case when we were unable to purchase essential items this was the only place we could.
---------

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is making me feel much better, everyone. Thank you.

I had a fantastic hospital-based mw who was completely supportive of intervention-free labor, for the most part, but I moved to a new area last week, and there are no mws here - the only person I could find around here, serendipitously, was an ob/gyn who was a CNM before becoming an MD.

I think this could go either way as far as being advantageous (i.e., intimate with the mw model of care) or just awful (i.e., went to med school because she thought the mw model was the wrong way to approach birth). I truly have no idea what to expect; my first appt. is in 2 weeks (I'm 34w2d now).

I definitely do not want to trust my labor experience to the hospital (!), and I think the thing that worries me the most is having to learn to advocate for myself during L&D. I've never had to worry about this; I'm an emergency nurse, and I've always sought care from friends who listened to me and supported me with information to make informed decisions. Now that I'm in a completely unfamiliar place, I'm apprehensive that "they" will simply expect me to get into a gown and strap on the EFM...which is the last thing I want to do, obviously!, and I'm going to have to speak up and say no...which I haven't had a lot of practice with through my own care in a health care setting.

I wanted to have a home birth, but I'm on heparin therapy & I'm so far from a hospital, I thought it might not be the best idea ever (lots of bleeding, etc.). But this gives me some place to start -- as a nurse, I'm so used to objective signs being the basis for action (i.e., EKG changes like this = give this medication, etc.) that I feel like I'm depending too much on needing objective signs to tell me what to do in labor (i.e., if I'm x cm, go to hospital!). I want to try and refocus on the subjective nature of letting my body tell me what I need to do and when I need to do it ... but this is very difficult!

This was supposed to be a simple query about hb supplies, and I'm sorry I'm rambling here -- I appreciate the support and answers from everyone so much -- moving has sort of magnified any questions and concerns that I've had about having my baby, and everything seems so much bigger and more pressing than it did a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, if anyone is still interested in where to purchase homebirth supplies you can check out our site. I am a SAHM homebirthing mom to 5 beautiful children and I also own and run Precious Arrows.

After having bad experiences with Cascade for my first homebirth I opened my own birth supply company and I love helping moms prepare for their births!

I would love to help anyone looking for supplies or even just advice. You can contact us by going to our website www.preciousarrows.com or calling 919-341-1196

God Bless, Jillian
homebirthing mom to 5

www.preciousarrows.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.