Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I meet with Evelyn (who takes our insurance
) last week to find out about homebirth. And even my husband, who is usually very clam, was very excited by the time we left. So we are VERY seriously considering homebirth for our coming Dec. Baby! We are currently going to Special Beginnings and went there with our son 12/03. We really liked them, especially David, who delievered DS. So here's my question, does any one have advise about leaving a birth center that you already love and going with a homebirth which you are pretty certain will be an even better choice? I can't believe that our insurance covers two great natural birthing options. Does anyone have opinions about Evelyn that they would be willing to share with me?

We are so excited to think that homebirth would even be an option for us. I'm a little nervous though since we got transfered from the birth center last time due to DS's fast heartbeat and mecionium. Everything was fine and he was perfect, so in some ways, it's hard to feel like the transfer was justified. Even so, I still have that whole thing in the back of my head, making me just the tiniest bit nervous about homebirth. So I would love for someone to reassure me.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I absolutely love SB, but I say go for the homebirth if that is what your gut is telling you to do. This way you won't have to leave your house, which is the most comfortable and relaxing place for you to be. You don't have to worry about getting adjusted in the car and at the birth center, etc... I am all for homebirth, so I say go for it!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had my first at the Bal. Birth Center and my second at home. I used evelyn but she wasn't available when i went into labor so i used her back-up whom i absolutely adored.
Homebirthing was great great great!!!!! I probably had to go through a birth center birth first before i felt secure enough.
I went into labor early in the morning. Later we went to the train station to pick up a friend. we went to the farmer's market. Came home just as things were getting more intense for me. Mid-wife came over with pool. Everyone set it up in the dining room while i labored upstairs. Came downstairs, had my baby, rested upstairs while everyone cleaned up. THat night had a lovely dinner back in the diningroom with my new baby girl in my arms. It was so CIVILIZED.
I don't mean to make it sound like a piece of cake but it was exactly the birth i wanted and compared to a 41 hour labor with my first it was much easier. So nice not to have to get into the car while in heavy labor!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Evelyn delivered my dd at the Baltimore Birth Center. I would definately use her again this time around if I could, but my current insurance doesn't cover homebirth. Who's your insurance carrier?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our insurance is ATNEA, but I think that she can accept a lot of different insurance companies.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I had my first two at the balt birth center (which I loved), with Evelyn there for at least part of each labor (she caught #2). Now I'm expecting #3 in a few weeks and am planning a homebirth with Evelyn. Even if the birth center I used before was still open I would still opt for the homebirth, just to avoid the car ride back and forth. I have such a more relaxed mindset this time knowing I don't have to go anywhere or decide when to leave - is it too soon, don't want to go too late and have it in the car, etc.

Plus, she carries with her all of the 'technology', meds, etc. that the birth center had, and if you have to transfer, in my mind it's not much different transfering from home or bc, as long as you don't live too far out from a hospital. I feel very comfortable with Evelyn's experience and ability to judge a situation that may warrant transfer and help make those decisions.

It sounds like you are leaning toward a homebirth and I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phathui5
Evelyn delivered my dd at the Baltimore Birth Center. I would definately use her again this time around if I could, but my current insurance doesn't cover homebirth. Who's your insurance carrier?
When I started care with Evelyn for this pregnancy, my insurance company (BCBS) said they wouldn't pay a midwife who is not part of a facility (i.e., birthcenter). I'm sure if I had asked about homebirth they'd say no (i didn't even mention homebirth, just midwife). But now, Evelyn is considered an in-network provider and the insurance has been paying her claims for labs (urine test). You could try asking your insurance if she is part of their network, or even call Evelyn and ask her if she has had sucess with your insurance. I think it's all in how you approach it with the insurance - the pat answer seems to always be 'we don't cover homebirth', but if you don't bring their attention to it, they may pay the claim anyway.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Had two of mine at the Maternity Center in Bethesda and one at Shady Grove and am planning a homebirth with Evelyn this Oct. She is terrific! I just love her! I have an appt. with her tomorrow and always love seeing her! You can't go wrong going with her and having a homebirth.... could there be anything more amazing in life? I'm so looking forward to birthing my baby where he was conceived.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement, so far everyone has seemed very supportive of the homebirth idea. When we mentioned the possibility to our family, no one was was totally against it, but then no one was like "oh, that's the best idea ever." I think that we are just at the point now where we need to decide to do it!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Evelyn is great. She helped me catch my first baby at the Balto. Birth Center and I saw her all through my second pregnancy. Her back up who is an incredible, amazing midwife, helped us with #2. I doula'ed at a homebirth with Evelyn last week, it was beautiful. I wish everyone would go for homebirth! It is the BEST!

Emily

: :home2:
:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Evelyn is AMAZING! I had several issues during labor (homebirth) that probably would have resulted in a c-section in a hospital. Evelyn handled everything perfectly! I had the homebirth of my dreams!
:
:
:
: :home2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.