Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this will be our second homebirth though we are in a different state now so we are using a different midwife.

I had said no to the vit k injection.

Then today she told me to make sure I order the oral vit k. We did not do any with our son. I wonder if I should get it or skip it? She has been so great about letting us do it our way. I don't know if I should just shovel out the $30 to have it here in case of birth trauma or not even worry.

· Registered
1,334 Posts
I haven't ordered any and my mw doesn't mention it either. We're skipping it, though I do see the benefit of having it if there is a lot of trauma during labor, but I guess part of me assumes that would be following a hospital transfer and not during our normal home birth -- but of course, I could be mistaken.

· Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I would say no, but unfortunately I don't remember why
I remember reading this great pamphlet before my 1rst HB and the statistics showed that the likely hood of your LO needing it are very very very slim. I'm sorry my memory is so bad! But no, I will not doing vitamin K.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
I think I read if the birth isn't overly traumatic (bruising, etc) and if you don't plan to circumcise then you almost definitely don't need the vitamin K? I wish I could remember.

· Registered
1,965 Posts
We didn't do it with our first two. I did drink a lot of nettle tea (high in vit K) at the end of pregnancy. I am doing the oral K this time because the MW has it for free, and I don't think it can hurt.

I don't think it is a big deal.

· Registered
1,607 Posts
We did oral k after dd's birth (birth center). We have it ordered for this birth (homebirth). We did injectable k w/ our first child.

There are different protocols out there. The catch w/ oral is that it seems to work well at preventing early onset bleeding but is not as great at preventing late onset hemmorhage (depending on who you believe). One of the protocols calls for weekly dosing and I think that's thought to be a bit better at preventing late onset. But then you end up with higher overall amounts, which concerns some people. With the oral, some people worry about tampering w/ a virgin gut, so it is a tough call. We are thinking we will use the three dose oral protocol and I'll supplement myself postpartum (apparently it doesn't work all that well to supplement mom in pregnancy).

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaMorgana View Post
Is there any reason not to do the shot, other than it adding to baby's overall stress on a day when so much is going on for him/her?
Well I tend to believe that our bodies are designed to be working units and we don't need to add anything extra to them to keep them working... so adding a supplement just because (well not just because, there are reasons involved, just not ones that I personally feel are needed for a normal birth) doesn't make sense to me.

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaMorgana View Post
Is there any reason not to do the shot, other than it adding to baby's overall stress on a day when so much is going on for him/her?
I believe we are one of the few countries that does a Vit K SHOT, it is a deep muscle shot that gives baby on BIG dose of Vit K. Some people believe that it is too much at once. I believe the majority of Europe does only the oral if anything at all. The oral Vit K is given to mom in 3 doses and then reaches baby through moms milk.

There are studies that show that after even the second dose of oral Vit K their is a increase in jaundice. So some believe that their is a reason we have low Vit K at birth and that their is the perfect amount in moms milk, especially in the colostrum. So some think the high amounts of jaundice we see in the US is due to the Vit K shot. At one point a study linked it to cancer but I believe many other studies have proved against that.

Vit K is suppose to stop a very rare clotting disorder, so many believe it is unnecessary unless the baby suffered from birth trauma or maybe if you plan on circumcising.

Hope this helps, if I made no sense this is an article on Vit K. It is from Midwifery Today.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
We declined the oral and the shot. I don't feel it's necessary unless we have a traumatic birth with lots of bruising, etc.
I have already increased my nettles and rrl, so that my colostrum and breast milk
has vit k in it. I know it's not as much as the shot or oral, but it will suffice for an average type birth.

· Registered
933 Posts
We will decline it. You can do things now to increase it in you so when you nurse the baby at birth it helps her. I can't see a reason why the baby would need it unless the birth is traumatic and that's not common for a home birth.

· Registered
753 Posts
DDCC to put up some info that made me rethink this one, and do more research. Not judging anyone, just wanted to offer what was offered to me, for your own consideration
I underlined and bolded what made me step back and decide it was not necessary for us.

Easily found on a Google search is the manufacturers information regarding Vitamin K injections....

"GENERIC NAME: VITAMIN K - INJECTION
BRAND NAME(S): Aqua-Mephyton, Vitamin K

WARNING: The injectable form of this medication must be used only when the oral form cannot be used. Injectable vitamin K can cause rare, possibly fatal allergic reactions, even during the first injection. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience symptoms of an allergic reaction such as rash, itching, swelling, dizziness or trouble breathing.

USES: Vitamin K is a fat soluble vitamin which plays an important role in blood clotting. This medication is used to prevent and treat hypoprothrombinemia (low blood clot factor levels) caused by vitamin K deficiency.

HOW TO USE: This medication is given by injection by a health care professional under the skin (SC, SQ), or if no alternative, into a large muscle (IM) or intravenously (IV), though very serious side effects may occur with the IV or IM route. Follow dosing instructions. Do not increase your dose, take this more often or stop taking this without first consulting your doctor.

SIDE EFFECTS: This medication is generally well tolerated. You may notice pain, swelling and tenderness at the injection site for a few days. Notify your doctor if you experience any of the following while taking this drug: chest pain, flushing, strange movements, rapid pulse, tightness of the chest, cramps. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

PRECAUTIONS: Tell your doctor if you have: blood disorders, allergies. A preservative (benzyl alcohol) which may be found in this product or in the liquid used to mix this product (diluent) can infrequently cause serious problems (sometimes death) if given by injection to an infant during the first months of life (neonatal period). The risk is greater with lower birth weight infants and is greater with increased amounts of benzyl alcohol. Symptoms include sudden gasping, low blood pressure, or a very slow heartbeat. Report these symptoms to the doctor immediately should they occur. If possible, a preservative-free product should be used when treating neonates. This medication should be used as directed during pregnancy or while breast-feeding. Consult your doctor about the risks and benefits."

· Registered
523 Posts
My son was just born 5 days ago at home after a one hour labor and he was very bruised with petichiae all over his face from his fast descent through the birth canal (he also weighed over 10 lbs) so we did do the Vit K shot a few hours after birth. So while a traumatic birth may be more rare at home, it can happen.

As a sidenote, the bruising and petichiae are almost completely gone and he has not been one bit jaundiced.

· Registered
295 Posts
I am waffling over this one....

I have read that vit K deficiency in western adults is very rare, but there are some conditions that increase the likelyhood of it. I have celiac, and that is one of the conditions.

If I am abnormally deficient, might that put my baby more at risk? And if I am deficient because of the decades of damage to my gut, then supplementing me (foods or otherwise) may not be enough to restore levels to normal. Unfortunatley, even though I have a disease which causes malabsorption, and I had low birthweight baby, no doctor has EVER agreed to check my vitamin levels
. My midwife does not give the K shot, but I may give an oral protocol because of our possibly increased risk...

I make smoothies daily with 2 or more cups of raw spinach in it... I am going to start cooking kale for dinner, too while I think more about this.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
MiaMama, I wonder if it'd be feasable to give YOU a vit. K shot - it might show up in the milk? (and if you're deficient, you might want it anyway...)

Just a thought. We did oral vitamin K for Ds, though, and he's fine, but I don't have celiac's...

· Registered
624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xixstar View Post
I haven't ordered any and my mw doesn't mention it either. We're skipping it, though I do see the benefit of having it if there is a lot of trauma during labor, but I guess part of me assumes that would be following a hospital transfer and not during our normal home birth -- but of course, I could be mistaken.

The birth causing trauma/bruising doesn't necessarily mean you will need a hospital transfer. My DS2 came so fast that his entire face was bruised and eyes were bloodshot, but a transfer wasn't necessary.
I originally declined vitamin K in my birth plan, but opted for it after his birth because of how badly he was bruised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by berrymama View Post
My son was just born 5 days ago at home after a one hour labor and he was very bruised with petichiae all over his face from his fast descent through the birth canal (he also weighed over 10 lbs) so we did do the Vit K shot a few hours after birth. So while a traumatic birth may be more rare at home, it can happen.

As a sidenote, the bruising and petichiae are almost completely gone and he has not been one bit jaundiced.

That's very similar to what happened to me.

My DS2 also has not had any jaundiced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.