Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am almost finished with the birth plan to take to the hospital just in case. Should I also be packing a bag just in case? I really don't anticipate going, but I don't want to be caught off guard either. If so, what should be in it? The thought of going makes me so upset, but I think I'd be more upset if I had to go and wasn't prepared either.

Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
A friend of mine who had homebirths always had a bag ready to go, but I'm not packing one. When I had my son in a hospital, I had a back with snacks/music/clothes, but I figure if I'm transferring this time, it's because something isn't right and the snacks and music are going to be worthless. And clothes? DH can go home and bring me back what I want after the birth. Also, I figure if it's a true emergency transfer, I'm not going to care much about a bag of stuff, but if it's not a true emergency I'll have a few minutes to throw some stuff in a bag if I want to.

All that being said, you won't regret being over prepared and having a bag ready, but you might regret NOT having a bag ready if you wind up in the hospital and don't have something you want.

I'm having a hard enough time getting all the essential stuff ready (hello! I don't even have a carseat yet!), so adding to the to do list makes me want to crawl into a hole, lol!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm not packing a bag because we live relatively close to the hospital and my husband could just go home and get the things I need. If I transfer emergently....no bag either. I guess if I lived farther from the hospital, I would have one ready to go.

From what I've read that if you need to transfer (non-emergency), there is time to pack a bag.

Things I'm thinking about putting on a list for DH and leaving with the suitcase/bags are things that will be needed in the first two days (typical length of stay).

Comfy clothes with some nursing tanks/shirts & undies, nightgown or robe and possibly slippers

breast pads

Clothes for babe (2-3 outfits & diapes with wetbag if using cloth)

Personal post partum stuff (witch hazel, lanolish or alternate nipple cream, possibly breast pump although hospital should be able to supply you with one). Hospital will probably supply you with standard issue stuff --I think

Toiletries--special shampoos. body wash, toothbrush etc

electronics (camera, cell phone w/ charger, laptop for posting pics, etc)

Cooler w/ ziplock if you're planning on asking for your placenta (Can just leave in car)

Car seat--hospital won't let you leave w/o one.

Oh yeah...Some clothes including swim trunksfor hubby or a separate bag for him (he may need to help you shower)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'm with others in that we don't live too far from the hospital. If I end up in transfer, it's going to be because of a really serious emergency, or because I've been in active labor for more than 48 hours (my personal limit, not the midwife's). Things like clothes, snacks, etc., can either be easily fetched from the house by friends, or just gotten later.

However, I WILL have a folder that includes up to date insurance information, current medical information, and several copies of my emergency/cesarean birth plan, all in a folder together. If we rush out the door, that will be information that DH and the midwife will need access to pronto, so it will be in a folder clipped to the door.

·
Registered
781 Posts
We live a bit a ways from the hospital, so I'll be probably be packing a small bag because I know if we do end up in the hospital it will take an act of God to get DF to leave me and the baby to run home and get anything.

I'll probably just have the bare minimum:
Some clean comfy postpartum PJs
underwear/nursing bra
a clean outfit
toiletries
outfit for the baby

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think packing a bag depends on how good your DP is in packing for you.

Last time we ended up transferring from a home birth to the hospital because I timed out (stupid FL law that only lets you stay home for 24 hours after your waters break!grrrr) and the only things I thought to take with me were my toothbrush & toothpaste. (Don't even ask where my head was as I had been awake and laboring for over 24 hours with contractions never more than 5 minutes apart.)

After the birth was all over (eventual c/s for stalled dilation, another stupid and untrue diagnosis) and we had time to catch our breath DH went home with a written list of what to bring back for me. Even with carefully written instructions including exactly where to find everything he still managed to come back with the wrong stuff, and couldn't find some other things. For my DH if the item isn't right in his face shouting "here I am" at him he can never find it, even when it is in the exact place I told him to look.

Our hospital was only about 10 min away, and DH ended up having to go home every day to get something, which was a real PITA. However I'll only consent to a transfer there again if it is a life or death situation as they will automatically perform a c/s on me for any future births. The nearest hospital that would allow me to VBAC is over an hour away with no traffic problems, so we would need to take everything we needed with us. So this time I'll probably have a list of what I would want to pack ready, and maybe have a bag that could be packed quickly. I will make sure I have a printed birth plan for transfer, which I also didn't have last time.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I didn't pack one last time. I didn't think it would be necessary at all and part of me thought it would jinx things.

This time (if I don't risk out of my hb of course) I think it'd be nice to at least have all the stuff in one spot/one bag, that way even if I do have the successful homebirth of my dreams, the clothes I want, the stuff I need postpartum and what I want the baby to wear first is all in a bag.

Anything other than that, in the event of transfer, I think might be overkill, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

This time (if I don't risk out of my hb of course) I think it'd be nice to at least have all the stuff in one spot/one bag, that way even if I do have the successful homebirth of my dreams, the clothes I want, the stuff I need postpartum and what I want the baby to wear first is all in a bag.
I packed a few things that I would need right away and it was nice after my homebirth to be able to ask people to just reach into the bag and hand me what I wanted.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I didn't pack one last time and we had a transport (after the birth) where I stayed at the hospital with DS for two days. However, DH is good at packing for me (he had to go home anyway to exchange cars) and so it wasn't a problem. Also, the hospital wasn't far away. I'm sure I didn't look too stylish or cute, but who does after laboring for 24 hours and not sleeping for days? I was not at the point of caring, anyway.

I don't think I'll pack a bag this time, either. Packing one doesn't feel good for my serenity. But it might help someone else feel prepared; to each her own!
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
With my first, we planned a hospital birth but before we could make a birth plan/pack a bag, I had an emergency transfer to a hospital hours away. While waiting for the ambulance to take me to the airport, my husband had time to run home and pack me a bag of clothes. I had to wear the hospital gown the entire time and spent a good portion of it on bedrest. All the snacks and magazines in the world would not have cheered me up, I would have preferred company but I was so far away from family and friends. I wore the clothes he packed on the day I went home.

I had a homebirth with my second. We didn't make a hospital birth plan or pack a hospital bag and in the end, we didn't need one.

Currently planning a homebirth and again have not made a hospital birth plan or packed a bag.

I figure, if we go to the hospital, it will most likely be an emergency or serious enough that we'll be more preoccupied with what's going on rather than thinking about having a change of clothes or entertainment. We live in a bigger city now, so if I did have to go to a major hospital, I'd still be in the same city.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I transferred during transition with DS. I did not have a hospital bag packed ahead of time, but DH had everything packed in the time it took me to be ready to go. I am not going to pack a bag this time, either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.