Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I was so glad to read the community stepped in and rewarded that man properly. I couldn't believe the man whose $21000 got returned only gave him a $100 reward. How selfish.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
I would give more than $100 if I could. But I'm not going to assume the man was selfish from this small bit of information. What if his mother needed cancer surgery and the down payment was $25,000 or they wouldn't operate?

I'm glad other people gave the guy money though.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This is local to me. The son of the owner has said that his mother offered the reward and looks at the bonds as an entitlement for herself. From what I can understand, these people are rather comfortable financially. They are in no way obligated to give the man anything.

The fact that so many people (who would normally not even glance at this man in passing) are angry over the amount he received as a thank you speaks volumes of our society. They are not angry that circumstance drove this man to the streets, they are angry that his behaving in a proper manner (returning items of value that do not belong to him) was not rewarded better. Do people really expect financial compensation for honesty? That is very sad.

I heard that he was offered a job after all this, I hope it brings him stability.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaChel
This is local to me. The son of the owner has said that his mother offered the reward and looks at the bonds as an entitlement for herself. From what I can understand, these people are rather comfortable financially. They are in no way obligated to give the man anything.

The fact that so many people (who would normally not even glance at this man in passing) are angry over the amount he received as a thank you speaks volumes of our society. They are not angry that circumstance drove this man to the streets, they are angry that his behaving in a proper manner (returning items of value that do not belong to him) was not rewarded better. Do people really expect financial compensation for honesty? That is very sad.

I heard that he was offered a job after all this, I hope it brings him stability.
ITA. I'm glad to hear that someone offered him a job.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If this publicity gets him an apartment (that's what he wants to spend the money on) and a job, that's better than any cash reward he might have gotten.

How wonderful of him, and those who have helped him because of this.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
for all those who stepped forward to help the homeless man. There are still good people out there.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaChel

: Took the words right out of my mouth, except the local part

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I read this today on AOL. I was very happy to see this man do the right thing and be rewarded. And in my opinion he deserves some type of reward. He is hungry and living on the street, yet still returned every bit of that money. It would be tempting for anyone I think if they were in his circumstances.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
It's nice to read GOOD stories like this once in awhile. I'm glad someone offered him a job, so much more than a monetary reward, IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts