Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am NOT crafty, and I feel funny even being in this forum (!) but I really want an advent calendar and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Ideally, it would be the kind with a Christmas tree on top and pockets on the bottom to hold ornaments that could be put on the tree.

But I'm open to ideas...I just don't really want to have one where you get a different treat every day, because our son doesn't eat candy and has enough toys already.

Any ideas for something that would look nice, not fall apart, and be EASY for me to make?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
We have one made of felt - it's a Christmas tree that hangs on the wall, and the ornaments are all Christian - I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but there's a lamb, the "Jesus fish", Mary, frankensence (sp?), gold, etc..... and a legend telling you what ornament to hang each day.

I will try to find it later to take some pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Well I'm guessing you don't sew..(only b/c you said you arent crafty), but maybe I'm wrong and you do??
Anyways I sewed some a couple of Xmas's ago. I bought a cheap sewing machine and taught myself to sew on this very project, (with no pattern). My point being, it's not a difficult project. I made 5 of them I think and they all came out great. Of course since they were my learning sewing project they all had flaws, but nothing huge that was easily pointed out. I used all diff. kinds of fabric for the backdrop then I used a diff. all green fabric for the tree. I used fabric paint for the numbers on the pouches of the ornaments. I bought all mini ornaments and made a few myself. I bought some mini lights and mini presents and glued them onto and under the tree. And then I used little clear balls that I glued onto the tree all over and that is how the ornaments hung on the tree.
So that is my suggestion. I do have to say though that in the end I do not think it was cheaper to make this myself then to buy it and I was disappointed in that. However I'm sure there is a way to make them cheaper depending on the fabric you use etc.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
we had one that was just 24 little boxes, like jewlery boxes with a bible verse in each one. If you can get the boxes free then it is a very cheap project. You can use anything to decorate the boxes, ribbons, stickers, bits of fabric, pine cones etc..
I want to sew something in the future...
Kathryn

·
Registered
520 Posts
Something I was thinking about doing for my family is just cutting a (large enough) Christmas tree our of felt, and either adding small pockets for goodies, or cutting small slits on the tree and hanging 'special' ornaments (1 hook in each small slit on the felt tree) that each kid will take turns hanging as the specific days come...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've been thinking about this. What about using a tree branch to hang small ornaments on? Real or artificial would be fine. You could use a flower pot to hold the ornaments and greens to hide whatever is holding in the branch.
Another option is to use baby socks (this was a MS craft one year- she used reds/greens and patterns with both) hung like a garland with clothespins.
My last idea is to use an old printer's box, you know the type that some people hang to display nicknacks in? You could easily convert that, covering the boxes with fabric or felt "curtains."

Quote:

Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
any more ideas?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brigmaman View Post
My last idea is to use an old printer's box, you know the type that some people hang to display nicknacks in? You could easily convert that, covering the boxes with fabric or felt "curtains."

I just made one! It took me awhile to find a typeset box that was cheap enough for me to be willing to cut to get it to the appropriate size. I took out some of the dividers to leave me with 24 slots/boxes. I then mod-podged numbers to the back of each opening. I will likely put a treat or note for each day. Some days the note may be instructions for them to go check somewhere in the house for a small gift - a new Christmas book or a package of underwear, that sort of thing. I've also found a heart shaped stone and am planning to use that to move along to mark the days. I will not fill it all at once so none of the boxes are covered. I tried to take pictures of it but I used glossy mod-podge and my flash was getting a glare. I'll try tomorrow. I'm really pleased with how it turned out!

·
Registered
698 Posts
How funny! We used to have these around because my grandparents had an antique shop in the 70's. I will have to check to see if my parents have any left. Did you paint it or leave it dark? I guess I can just see when you post pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
I just made one! It took me awhile to find a typeset box that was cheap enough for me to be willing to cut to get it to the appropriate size. I took out some of the dividers to leave me with 24 slots/boxes. I then mod-podged numbers to the back of each opening. I will likely put a treat or note for each day. Some days the note may be instructions for them to go check somewhere in the house for a small gift - a new Christmas book or a package of underwear, that sort of thing. I've also found a heart shaped stone and am planning to use that to move along to mark the days. I will not fill it all at once so none of the boxes are covered. I tried to take pictures of it but I used glossy mod-podge and my flash was getting a glare. I'll try tomorrow. I'm really pleased with how it turned out!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm thinking about making an advent calendar as well. Tossing around ideas. I'm thinking of making making garland out of felt and hanging it on a piece of twine with little clothespins. One triangle for each day. And then making a pocket on the triangle to hold the note or small gift. Felt is nice because it doesn't need finishing (doesn't fray). I would probably sew the pockets on, but you could also just use craft glue.

Go to craftster.org and search for advent calendars. Tons of great crafty ideas there! This one is very very cute!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=203930.0

Here's the MS one that I think someone else mentioned:
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...&rsc=ns2006_m5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.