Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
ymmv, of course, but here's the recipe we've been using for over 6 months now for powdered laundry soap:

http://granola.typepad.com/rockin/20...-deeds-do.html

We like it and it is pretty inexpensive to make. Tho' Whistler I'm pretty impressed with the cost break-down on your liquid version - wow!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Here is the recipe we use, which is very similar to one of the PP's recipe.

1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap or ½ bar Ivory soap, grated
½ cup washing soda
½ cup borax powder
2 gallons water, divided
large bucket with lid

Use cheese grater or food processor to grate the soap. Put shavings into sauce pan together with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cook until the soap is fully melted (the water will be very sudsy at this point). Add the washing soda and Borax, stirring until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour four cups of steaming hot water into a large bucket. Add the soap mixture and stir thoroughly. Add one gallon, plus six more cups of warm water to the mixture and stir again. Cover the bucket and let the mixture sit for 24 hours. The mixture will form a watery gel, akin to egg-drop soup. Use ½ cup per load.

It takes me 10 minutes or less to prep and each batch lasts for about 6-8 weeks. Even though the Fels Naptha has a strong odor when you grate it, there is NO smell on the laundry when it comes out of the washer. I LURVE it!
:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I use a variation of this recipes too. Have for about 3-4 years now with good results.

1/2 bar of Dr. Bronners Castile Soap, grated and melted in a saucepan with just enough water to cover the dry grated soap.

1/2 c. Borax

1/2 c. Washing Soda

2 gals. Hot water.

Mix it well and let sit over night.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJJ View Post
Mamas,
where do you find this?
I can not find it ANYWHERE.
Please advise.
TIA
I got it at the third grocery store I checked, in the laundry aisle (Price Chopper if you have one by you). I had no luck with Target or Walmart.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
I got it at the third grocery store I checked, in the laundry aisle (Price Chopper if you have one by you). I had no luck with Target or Walmart.
I think you are confused because it is actually Arm & Hammer washing soda. That may make it easier for you to find in the store

I use the same powdered versions mentioned above. I'm not sure I understand the reason for the liquid kind. It seems like more work and I've never had the powder leave any residue on clothes. We just keep it in a big old tupperware container.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I found mine at drugstore.com for about $7, then the next day I found it at Publix for only $2.50. I guess I am stocked up for some time. My suggestion is to go to you local midsize grocery store Piggly Wiggly, Publix, Albertson, etc. They typically have larger buying power to get it. Too big they seem to not care exp target and walmart. Although I did find lots of Zote bars at target.

the liquid is super cheap I got my recipie at
ww.duggarfamily.com

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
We make a variation of the many above and found all the ingredients at a store called Winco. We make the liquid because we rent and the landlords put it in the lease to only use liquid laundry soap and dishwashing detergent. We are on septic and I guess powders clog the lines faster.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
I posted the one I use on my blog.

http://whistlererin.blogspot.com/200...ndry-soap.html
I bookmarked you! I love how you explain it, have pictures, and make it look so easy. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
I use:
1 bar grated ivory
1/2 c washing soda
1/2 c Borax

I use 1 tablespoon for a full load.
I do like the fact that you've simply mixed the dry ingredients and not made it into a liquid. I'm going to think about which way I want to do it. I'm going to the store later.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Has anyone tried peppermint Dr. Bronner's barsoap with these recipes? Also, is washing soda and Borax ok to use on newborn baby clothes?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I use a dry detergent:

3 bars fels naptha
3 cups borax
3 cups washing soda
sometime I add a little oxiclean

use 1 tablespoon per load

I have a front loading washer, this does not produce much suds at all. To prevent clogs, I add vinegar occassionaly in the bleach dispenser.

·
Registered
262 Posts
to be honest I dont measure anything anymore. I pick out some soap from the bathsoap isle, and grate it. I throw in some borax. I throw in some washing soda. I throw in baking soda. I throw in calgon water softener. I also throw in oxy clean.
I shake it up, stir it, whatever. and add an unmeasured scoopful into the wash, I vary the scoopful amount depending on what I feel like at the time.

We've been doing it that way for months and I cant tell the difference between using that and store bought detergent. I think all the recipes are really just subjective, but then again, I never follow recipes even when I'm cooking.

ETA: these recipes are not recommended for cloth diapers, mainly because the "soap" builds up on microfiber and what not. Charlies soap however has very similar ingredients, 3 of the 5 in fact. borax, washing soda and baking soda.

Also, it doesnt make suds, it will not "over-suds".

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.