Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Has anyone ever done this? Kind of like a Nutrigrain bar...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DS can't have pasteurized dairy and the dairy free ones are SO expensive.</p>

·
Registered
693 Posts
<p>I've made fig bars before.  (Way better than newtons!)  I just did a quick google search & found lots of recipes - you can find one that suits your needs, I'm sure.  You could even add in some other fruits for variety.</p>

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>Not Nutrigrain or Fig Newtons (no yummy filling), but I've made simple bars with grated apple and raisins. They are essentially a quick bread, baked in a square cake pan. Unfortunately, my kids didn't really like them. Yours might though! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>1 cup whole wheat flour</p>
<p>3/4 cup all purpose flour</p>
<p>2/3 cup packed brown sugar</p>
<p>1/2 cup each chopped dried apricots and prunes (or dates or figs etc.)</p>
<p>1/2 cup raisins</p>
<p>1/4 cup what bran</p>
<p>1 tsp baking powder</p>
<p>1/2 tsp baking soda</p>
<p>1/2 tsp cinnamon</p>
<p>1/2 tsp salt</p>
<p>1/4 tsp nutmeg</p>
<p>1 apple grated</p>
<p>3/4 cup plain low-fat yoghurt</p>
<p>1/4 cup vegetable oil</p>
<p>2 eggs</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Grease a 9 in. square cake pan. </p>
<p>Mix flours, sugar, dried fruit, bran baking power and baking soda, spices and apple together. </p>
<p>In a separate bowl, whisk yoghurt, oil and eggs together. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined. </p>
<p>Spread in pan and bake at 350F for 35 to 40 min. until tester comes out clean. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Since you would like dairy-free, I'd replace the yoghurt with applesauce. Perhaps adjust to 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 to 3/4 cup applesauce. Adding more grated apple might help too. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>IIRC, the bars were a little too dense, dry and chewy for my kids and the spices could have been increased. I think grated carrot or zucchini might work too, or some combination. You may have to experiment a little to get something that you like. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts