Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to get some healthy breakfasts together for DH...something that he can heat in the microwave, or just pour boiling water over. Occasionally I get a multi-grain porridge in the crock pot the night before, but that is not every night by far.

I am planning to make some breakfast wraps (egg, cheese, ham or sausage, etc.) that I can freeze so he can just heat them up, but I'd also like to have a quick whole-grain option too. He likes those instant oatmeal packages that you just make with boiling water, but those have so much sugar and who knows what else?

So, I bought a few pounds of various rolled grains like oats, barely and triticale to make my own. I know they are not the "quick" kind and that they end up a little "toothier" when just made with boiling water or microwaved for a minute, but we all like them that way. If we want gooey porridge we make it in the crock pot or make steel cut oats. LOL I was wondering if anyone has made a mix like this before and if you had recipe ideas and/or cooking instructions. My DH is a major instruction freak, so if I want him to use this and not stop at someplace horrible like McD's on the way to work, I need to spell it out as far as how much water, how long to sit, etc. I mean, this is a guy who uses a liquid measuring cup to make tea because on the canister it says to use "8 ounces of boiling water."
That cracks me up every morning. I think it secretly drives him a bit
: when I just pour the water up to the brim willy-nilly.

Anyway, I was thinking of adding some dried apricots or currants, spices like cinnamon and cardamom, and maybe some rhapadura (sp?) or even a little brown sugar. I thought about powdered milk too to make a creamier version, but I think I'd rather he just use a T of fresh cream when he makes it. I also have things like maple and vanilla extract, but I don't know how that would work in a dry mix. I'll either package it individually in vacuum bags, or as a mix in a big mason jar. Can y'all think of any other healthy additions I could include in a dry mix? Preparation instructions? (For me and the kids, I just throw "some" in a bowl, cover with water, microwave for a minute, then add whatever and voila! But for some reason he needs a little more structure and I love him and he makes the money, so I will indulge him.
: )

Thanks for your help!

Krista

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
To make it like the packets you have to put some of it in the food processor or blender for a few minutes until it is very fine. If you want to measure it out for your DH into little bags, that might work best for him
Put a little salt (unless you all dont use salt in making oatmeal), about 2 tablespoons very fine oats, and a quarter cup of regular oats. You can add a little dry fruit, brown sugar, whatever he likes. Anyhow, add 3/4 cup boiling water to the packet mix, and let it sit for two minutes. I can send a pocket timer if your Dh would like. HTH!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
I can send a pocket timer if your Dh would like.
ROTFLMAO! I have tears in my eyes because I didn't even mention that he sets the time when he makes the tea too!
But seriously, I'm the kind of person that takes the present out of the box and starts putting it together/playing with it directly w/o reading the instructions, so we make a really great team. He has taught me the benefits of being a bit more cautious and I'd like to think I've helped him become a bit more free-wheeling.
I just let him make his tea exactly how he likes.

Thanks so much for the instructions. I didn't even think about using the blender. And to think, I used to make baby food that way - I shouldda figgerd! I'll try that - but I do think he can manage with scooping an appropriate portion out of a larger container.
I hate to waste the baggies or the vacuum bags.

I'll give it a try!

Krista

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

IKWYM, my DH certainly has helped me realize the value of reading directions and deliberate-ness (is that even a word?) too.

If you make it in a bigger container, make sure you tell him to shake it before scooping some out, or he will get all the big oats and none of the fine stuff.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If you have (or can buy) a bunch of heat-safe glass (Pyrex or knockoff brand) single-serving containers with lids, you can put a portion of oatmeal ingredients in each one and have him add boiling water, stir, cover w/lid, stir again, and eat.

I don't measure anything, but this is what I put in my Optimal Oatmeal:
quick-cooking oats
powdered milk
sorghum syrup
cinnamon
nutmeg or ginger
salt
raisins
flax seed oil.
Since flax needs to be refrigerated, you should either use a different fat or make "add 1 tsp. flax oil" part of the instructions. Butter lasts a while at room temp, so if he eats butter you can use that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Serenetabbie,

Just wanted to let you know that I used your recipe and it seems to be working very well. I *did* modify it a little as I simply can't seem to make any recipe without some modification, but it is basically the same.

I ground up rolled oats to make the powder...and while doing so realized it was the same way I used to make baby's cereal, so I figured I could possibly add some legumes to that mixture. (Though I didn't b/c I figured I used to cook that for 10 min., not just let it sit for two.) Anyway, I also added some home-dried apricots and it made a really yummy smelling precursor to a dough almost. (Like if I squeezed it it would clump together.) I will have to try adding a little milk or coconut oil sometime and making a sweet crust out of it or something.

Then I just proceeded to measure out 1/4 c oats, 1/4 c triticale, 1/4 c oats, and 1/4 c barley and so on. I added 2 T of the mixture per 1/4 c of grains, and a few dashes of sea salt. It seems to work best for us with a rounded 1/3 c measure of grains to 2/3 c boiling water. (I think the triticale and barley don't soak up as much water or something.)

I mixed some spices and brown sugar in a separate canister as i wanted to be able to use the mixture for my children as well and they don't do well with cinnamon - not to mention brown sugar!

So thank you for the suggestion - it worked well! And Becca, thanks for your suggestions as well. He will use butter and coconut oil, so I will make a note of it. I could also throw some flax seeds in and just keep the canister in the fridge.

Krista

1 - 6 of 6 Posts