Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone, maybe you can help...I've made somewhere around 25 of my own pocket diapers and they're all horrible. Just about all are PUL and microfleece, a couple are double fleece, as a thicker fleece is on the outside. I'm doing something wrong because the kids constantly both leak out the side in the leg area. My friend looked at them for me and suggested it was the fleece inner that was sticking out a little past the PUL in the leg area making it wick outward to the leg and have an accident. I wondered if I've made the leg area too big, not enough elastic, not tight enough elastic....I don't know. I honestly can't diagnose it and it may be hard for you guys to do also, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Sometimes my insert isn't even wet as urine just flies out the side/leg of the diaper. And I feel terrible for my older one as she is not yet potty trained but kind of sensitve about the whole thing so she cries when the urine goes everywhere....I know it's my sucky diapers as we have two Nicki's haute pockets and everything is great. Even my friend's homemade work better. I'm just horrible at this...I really prefer pockets but....<br><br>
Each dipe has only been worn a few times and I have already stripped them to be sure...<br><br>
Should I just give up on pockets and try to make another system? The other day I made two wool bum sweaters and I have a couple of (professionally made) fitteds I could try.<br><br>
I need to be very very frugal.<br><br>
And as an aside, what is the best type of system to wear in summer to keep cool? Especially if it is quite humid?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
maybe you could add inner gussets like the rumparoos have. It's a length of elastic on each side of the inner fleece sewn about 1" in from the leg. I'm a novice sewer though so I'm not positive

·
Registered
434 Posts
it could be that you need to roll the leg seams in, but that shouldn't be the case with polyester inners. Are you using 100% polyester thread? Cotton coated thread can cause wicking. Does it seem like the urine is even going through the fleece to the insert or is it just bouncing off and flying out the side? Do you have any foe that you could use to make one or two and try those? Just bind the two layers together with foe and slit the fleece inner for stuffing. That should give you a good seal at the legs.<br><br>
My favorite for hot weather are fitteds and wool. I use home-knitted or recycled wool most of the time. Even with just prefolds they are awesome.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! When I have cloth diaper fail, it seems it is bouncing to the size and not even soaking through and coming out the leg. The last few days I've been trying to do certain things to make the dipes not leak and it's helping. Fastening the velcro tighter, and making sure I stuff enough as per my friend's suggestion. I think one of the reasons I'm having problems is the leg area is too loose and that the fleece is sticking out over the pul if you know what I mean...she said this is causing it to wick outward toward the leg. I sewed another this weekend and made sure fleece was nice and inside the diper instead of sticking out over, worked pretty good, I guess this is all just trial and error...friend also suggested the foe for the ones that I have already kind of messed up, because there's no way I'm pulling those apart to fix them. haha

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I don't think your fleece sticking out the leg hole is your issue as I have Green Acre Designs diapers (pockets) and the fleece sticks out the legs and i have no issues.<br><br>
I think with what you are describing (the soaker in the diaper being dry and the pee just leaking right out the leg hole) is that you didn't use the correct type of fleece.<br><br>
You have to get the micro fleece not polar fleece. If you drop water onto the fleece on the inside of the diaper what happens? Does is soak in right away or does it bead up? As for a cheap fix I would just lay a prefold in the diaper and use it as a cover until you are ready for the next size and then use the correct type of fleece.<br><br>
Let me know if this is helpful and I am curious. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
How many layers are you using for the insert, and what type of fabric are you using for them? I normally just have to stuff more if we're having leaks.<br>
Make sure that the liquid is going through the microfleece quickly enough. You can test some of it by running a small stream of water over a piece of it, and if the water pools on top, it's not making it through to the insert fast enough, so that would cause leaking.<br>
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I agree with the previous poster...you could just use them as covers rather than stuffed...just lay the prefold or soaker down the middle rather than under the fleece. This way you don't have to sew anymore to make them usable. It does sound like a fleece problem to me, as if the pee isn't draining through the fleece to get to the soaker.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also agree with a pp that the fleece sticking out the legs isn't the problem. This is actually how I make mine. You can see pics of mine on my Facebook Group if you are interested. It's called Krazy About Kozy Koverz.<br><br>
What type of elastic are you using around the legs? The clear swimsuit elastic works best and I stretch it about 90% when putting it in. And how do you sew the elastic in? That could make a difference as well.<br><br>
The other problem could also be the fleece you are using...make sure it is Microfleece and if you've stripped them then it's definately not all the chemicals that come on it when you buy it.<br><br>
The other thing to try is make sure that your inserts aren't TOO BIG. This is a problem I had for a long time and then made my inserts 1/2 inch less wide and I never had another leak.<br><br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'd say one of my biggest problems was not stuffing enough. The other was a poorly designed diaper. Some of mine are fine. I've made about 15-20 total, I'm not sure...I only use them for at home now. Bed, hanging around the house, when he's not getting dressed, etc. Like I said, some are okay. Some are horrible. None are pleasing to the eye. I use the professional diapers when we go out or they are getting dressed up, etc. And I'm working on buying more and not going to attempt making anymore. When I made the cover, that wasn't too bad, except my machine didn't like the PUL at all, and I should've made the cover slightly bigger...but not bad. I'm out though, no more. Except possibly wool sweater bum covers. Those aren't bad to do at all! I just need more wool sweaters.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention one funny thing that happened with one of my more horrible pockets. The "tabs" were way too long and they met in the middle and overlapped eachother with the velcro. But the front of the diaper fell down, because it just wasn't being held on right. I almost died laughing when I saw my son running around with the tabs of the diaper still fastened around his waist like a belt and the front part of the diaper flapping in the back like a cape for his butt and his boy parts just hanging out in the open...I think I threw that diaper away but I'm not sure...but it was hilarious.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you topstitch around the sides? The first set of pockets I made were aweful too! I found that it took 2-3 weeks of constant use and washing/drying on high to get them to start absorbing properly. It could be as simple as that. The other thing I found very helpful was going back and topstitching all the way around the diaper (skipping the opening). Check out this link for some pictures (see step 8): <a href="http://verybaby.com/tutorials/sew-a-fleece-pocket-diaper-with-traditional-back-opening/" target="_blank">http://verybaby.com/tutorials/sew-a-...-back-opening/</a>.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I make "overlap" tabs on my diapers in case the tabs are too long for skinnier babies.<br>
When you make the tabs, sew two piece of hook/loop together, one on each side. The loop should always be facing out, and the hook should always face in.<br><br>
I agree that you make have the wrong type of fleece. I use the suedecloth (or costume suede? Alova at joAnn) for the inside of diapers. it's perfect. It never pills or stains. it's lightweight and easy to sew. and you can get it in animal prints!! (funny, but true. They also have white, black, brown, etc, too)<br><br>
I turn and topstitch mine. I sew the velcro loop (or add snaps) on the front, then sew the sides together, all the way around except the pocket opening. Then I zigzag or serge elastic to the leg openings and the top of the back opening, on the PUL side.<br>
I turn right side out, then topstich only next to the leg elastic, after pinning the fabric in place so that the PUL rolls slightly to the inside. Top stitch w/ 100% nylon thread, viola! Add your velcro tabs (or tab snaps) and you're done.<br><br>
I use microfiber towels that I get from the automotive section of the Family Dollar for inserts $5 for 12. I use three for heavy wetting situations, folded in thirds.<br><br>
Hope some of that helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts