Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I made the seitan recipe that was posted on our veg living thread last month and it didn't turn out too well
I hate it when so much effort goes into something- I had to go to 3 different stores and ordered the sage from a local organic farmer and had to go pick that up- then it took over 3 hours to cook (when it was supposed to take 2) and still it was a crumbly, mushy, pile
It tasted ok but definitely not as good as the PPK recipe I did before.

I had such high hopes, too- the recipe from PPK is not difficult, but it does take more kneading, and boiling it in a big pot so it's a bit more unweildy to make. This one you just mix it up and bake it, I was really hoping I could do it that way from now on!

Any idea what I did wrong? Could my oven temp be off? Has anyone else tried the recipe and have any tips?

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Itsy - I think it was the recipe I posted that I got from the Real Food Daily Cookbook. I've only made it once but it came out great so I'm not sure what might have happened. I'll go check the recipe to see if I mistyped something.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Well, I looked over the recipe and it was right. So, I'm not sure what the problem could have been. Maybe your oven temp. I am reviewing a vegan baking cookbook right now and it says that most ovens are suprisingly off when it comes to temperature. Still, if you are not having trouble with other recipes why should this one suddenly not work.

I really sorry - I know how frustrating it is to waste time and ingredients.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've made seitan from a few differant recipes, sometimes it works for you sometimes it doesn't.

Seitan is labor intensive, so when it turns out wonky I'll try almost anything to make it usable! Two easiest ideas are freezing the seitan and then thawing it to see if it improve the texture. If that fails grind it up and use it in chili.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cathe- thanks for checking the recipe for me again! I appreciate it! I would not be surprised if my oven temp is off- it seems like things like this always happen to me! (things taking forever to cook)

Medusa- you're right. I used it again today and it is better after being refrigerated. I will freeze the rest and see how the texture is after thawing it.

It doesn't taste bad, it tastes pretty good, it's just really crumbly and bread-like instead of that chewy/springy texture that it usually has. It actually would probaby work well ground up in something- I'm making chili next week!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
Cathe- thanks for checking the recipe for me again! I appreciate it! I would not be surprised if my oven temp is off- it seems like things like this always happen to me! (things taking forever to cook)

Medusa- you're right. I used it again today and it is better after being refrigerated. I will freeze the rest and see how the texture is after thawing it.

It doesn't taste bad, it tastes pretty good, it's just really crumbly and bread-like instead of that chewy/springy texture that it usually has. It actually would probaby work well ground up in something- I'm making chili next week!
That would indicate that it still has too much starch in it. Almost every seitan recipe I've tried tells you to do too few rinsings. No matter what the recipe says you should keep soaking, kneeding and rinsing until the water runs clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.