Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is 13 months old. I still nurse him morning and night, but I work full-time and have now stopped pumping, so he needs something else during the day. We don't do cow's milk, so I've been making him a homemade "formula" based on goat's milk, but I'm not entirely sure what to include in it (or what to leave out). There are lots of formula recipes online, but they are for infant formula; my son eats lots of solid food, so I'm sure his needs are different. At any rate, I would love to know what you suggest I might include in my son's milk, especially if you have been there, done that with your own little ones. (I know he's technically old enough for straight milk, but I feel like he needs more nourishment at this age.)<br><br>
The formula I make now includes goat milk (pasteurized), goat kefir, fresh coconut water, infant probiotic, sodium ascorbate or acerola powder, and DHA/ARA powder from Baby's Only (from eggs, not hexane-derived).<br><br>
Is there anything else I might include? What do you add to your toddler's food or drink that I might consider? Does the formula I am making seem okay to you?<br><br>
(I had originally included some healthy oils, like coconut and olive, but they didn't mix well and left a weird film in the bottles, so now I just include them more in his diet.)<br><br>
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
honestly, I think I would just use a raw pastured egg yolk instead of the powder, if you can get them.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Maybe CLO (fermented if possible, but definitely with natural vitamin A and D, not synthetic added) and high-vitamin butter oil? It could use some more omega-3s, maybe. I don't know if they'd have the same issues as the other oils you tried adding, though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for replying. I have been adding cod liver oil to his food several times a week, though not the fermented kind -- will have to look into that. And I think adding the egg yolk is a great idea (if I can get over my fear of raw animal products--I keep trying to work up the nerve).<br><br>
Thank you both, again.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
with the fear of raw animal products, if you can get eggs from a friend's backyard chickens, or pastured chickens from a local farmer, you can check for yourself, or talk to them, about the lives of the chickens. There is very very little danger with raw eggs from healthy chickens, eating grass and bugs and veggies and a little organic feed (chickens have high protein needs, and it's hard for them to get that solely through bugs in many locations), with lots of space, in a very clean enviroment (either moved often enough that poop doesn't build up, or in a location which is cleaned, and the chickens have plenty of room, it is very safe.<br><br>
It becomes a big issue when the chickens are any of the following: Crowded, indoors all the time, eating chicken or beef or other large animal by-products (which may be contaminated itself), not getting to eat bugs and grass and veggies and other stuff (ie, only eating a feed. this won't ensure the healthiest chickens, who are more likely to be sick), living in their own poop, living with dead chickens.) (that said, I grew up eating raw cookie dough with conventional eggs regularly. and I'm sure a lot of mamas did too. I wouldn't give it to a baby or toddler though. only pastured eggs from a known source.)<br><br>
(you only want to add the yolk, because raw egg white isn't very digestable)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts