Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi CDing mamas,<br><br>
Can I just cut up a bunch of my DH's old cotton t-shirts to make wipes? Seriously, he must have an unlimited supply of old college t-shirts that would otherwise just be thrown out.<br><br>
I don't own a sewing machine, so any talk of serging and hemming cloth just goes over my head.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm not a CDing mama yet, but I do use cut up t-shirts for cleaning around the house, and they don't seem to fray or unravel or anything at the edges, so they should work fine as baby wipes if you want to give them a try. I just cut pieces with my regular fabric shears and they hold up fine. As to how good they will be as baby wipes, you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

·
Registered
370 Posts
They should work fine but you might want something thicker. (I have a few made from an old sweatshirt.) Or else you can just cut them big enough so you can fold them while you use them.<br><br>
Kaye

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I am not much of a sewer either, but I think there is something you can put on the edges that keeps it from fraying...I imagine it is a kind of glue, but I don't know. Might also be something you can iron on to keep it from fraying.<br><br>
However, if you have a ton, it might work ok to just wash them. You will probably have a nightmare tangle in the dryer the first few times, but then they should settle down. (my homemade, sewn wipes did this because I left the frayed edge around them. Had to cut them apart after the dryer to use them the first few times through the dryer)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's called fray check, but she shouldn't need it. I have never had a problem with my t-shirt rags tangling in the wash, no lose threads or anything. Woven fabrics (such as flannel, cotton...) are another story...<br><br>
If you wanted to use some flannel or another woven material to make wipes, I would think the easiest way out would be to cut your squares with pinking shears. But tshirts, which are a knit, shouldn't ravel on you.<br><br>
The sweat shirt idea sounds good, too. One side would be kind of scrubby, the other side would be more soft.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by Jennifer Z</i><br><b>I am not much of a sewer either, but I think there is something you can put on the edges that keeps it from fraying...I imagine it is a kind of glue, but I don't know.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
You can also use pinking shears or a pinking blade on a rotary cutter, which is way easier. And with the rotary cutter, you can cut a few at a time - just buy a small rubber mat to put under when you cut. I LOVE my pinking rotary cutter for this purpose!<br><br>
You should be able to find all this stuff at Walmart in the sewing/crafts area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts