Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get crazy allergies from December - March thanks to mountain cedar and other pollens around here. i occasionally take claritin but much prefer homeopathic "texas tree mix" drops. it has about 25% alcohol in it, which freaks me out a bit. i generally take 10-15 drops (one dropper full) under my tongue in the morning.

is this okay with pregnancy? i'm past my first trimester (14 weeks).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll look for one at whole foods. unfortunately i live in one of the highest allergy areas of the country and mountain cedar hits HARD around here. what i take is specific to this area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i can't see why it would be a problem- many of the tinctures that are reccommended for pg are distilled in alcohol- and if you think about 25% of one dropperful, it's about 2.5-3 DROPS of distilled grain alcohol- that hardly seems like a lot.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Maybe my math is off, but if the bottle itself is 1/4 filled with alcohol, then each dropperfull is going to be more than 1/4th alcohol isn't it? I suck at math. It just sounded like a lot to me, because I'm used to taking the tablets primarily.

And I'm not opposed to tinctures in pregnancy -- I use Rescue Remedy on occasion myself. But there's like 4 drops under the tongue there, versus a dropperfull daily, which just sounded like a lot.

Either way, couldn't you just put it in hot water and/or let the alcohol evaporate if you're worried?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i would be more accurate in saying 10-15 drops, it just happens to be the full dropper of what i fill out. it doesn't actually fill then entire thing, if that makes sense.

i don't know if diluting it in water would change the affect but i can try. i don't know, i just figure it is better than whatever weirdness is in claritin and that stuff.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gruver View Post
well, i would be more accurate in saying 10-15 drops, it just happens to be the full dropper of what i fill out. it doesn't actually fill then entire thing, if that makes sense.

i don't know if diluting it in water would change the affect but i can try. i don't know, i just figure it is better than whatever weirdness is in claritin and that stuff.
Put the drops in very hot water, and let sit in an open container for about five minutes. Most if not all the alcohol with evaporate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.