Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about homeopathy, but have been reading a little about using chamomilla, gelsemium, and bach rescue remedy during labor.

Can anyone share any information on these, recommend some good reading, or suggest other favorite medicines to use for labor and postpartum?

I am planning to bring with me some essential oils and comfrey compresses, but other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am also interested in homeopathy for pp hemhorrage- is there anything to help incase the placenta isn't fully delivered, in order to avoid a dose of cyntocin (pitocin)? This will be a hospital birth, so there won't be anyone but myself and dh to offer alternatives to conventional medicine.

Finally, if anyone has experience with trying to use alternative medicines while giving birth in the hospital, please let me know how the hospital staff reacted. I am thinking that if I am using anything other than what they are familiar with, it might be best not to tell them???
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
These two books are wonderful and easy to use and understand:

*Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susun S. Weed

*Homeopathic Medicines for Pregnancy and Childbirth by Richard Moskowitz

Arnica is a good one to have on hand.

This sight helps you find homeopathic remedies for specific things remedies

Have to go, dd is climbing all over me!!!!!!
Brandi

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I just got my homeopathic birth kit yesterday.

Pulsatilla is recommended for a retained placenta, PPD, and for slow dilating cervix and irregular or weak contrax.
Staphysagria is useful after c-sections, episiotomy and to speed healing.
Arnica is also a good one to have for after birth, bleeding, pain ,swelling and also retained placenta.
Caulophyllum is for labor that is not progressing/cervix closed tight and thick.

The only thing is you cannot use your essential oils and the remedies together as the oils antidote the remedies.

We will be using them at the hospital as well, but my CNMW is aware that we will (I have used homeopathy all through this pg and she knows that is how I treat myself)and luckily I have a great OB who also supports their use. Not that we will be annnouncing it or anything and not that you have too either.
I also recommend the book Homeopathic Medicines for Pregnancy and Childbirth by Richard Moskowitz if you are not complety familair with the remedies.

and I have this link:
http://www.homeopathy-soh.org/web/pages/leaflet5.htm

I have a ton more info on the labor remedies-so if you want pm me and I can give you more specifics on what you are looking for.....
good luck!

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I'm using Arnica, pulsatilla, rescue remedy and chamomilla in my birth.

I've heard only good things about arnica, so I have the pellets (to take internally) as well as "arnica gel" to smear on my belly. Apparently it really helps healing, and diminishes pain.

chamomilla is supposed to be good for calming. At my other birth, I got kind of, how you say, SCREAMING, so I hope I don't with this stuff.
:

pulsatilla is supposed to be good for people with fair skin and hair, who are very sensitive (that's me) in times of change.

I'll use the RR if the baby is not breathing, or others around me need some calming down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts