Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone feel they live in a particularly homeschool friendly area?

I pulled my boys out of PS for the last semester of the school year, homeschooled/unschooled with great success, and now feel torn as to what to do from here. My oldest is due to attend a respected charter school, my youngest a private school. I really want to continue homeschooling, but our area is not very homeschool friendly. We are seriously considering moving and I am researching areas.

Not sure what I am looking for here, maybe to read some of the good things happening in other areas for homeschoolers? Feel free to share!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Texas is very homeschool-friendly. Texas homeschoolers are rarely bothered these days, and we are protected by law. A lot of states offer legal protection. Please check out the Home School Legal Defense Association.
http://www.hslda.org
You can contact them if you are in need of their help. Their website offers tons of valuable information about your rights. From this site you can even research laws and legal cases by state.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Portland, Oregon. We have a huge, active homeschooling community here (lots of unschoolers) and even an umbrella "private" school to keep it legal if you don't want to do the standardized testing (Village Home).

·
Registered
150 Posts
I find the pacific northwest to be very homeschooling friendly. We moved here 15 months ago from California, where homeschooling was not nearly as common. We run into other homeschoolers all of the time, there are tons of programs for homeschoolers, and people don't find it strange at all. In CA, people were always shocked when I said I homeschooled, here it is much more "normal".

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I agree that the PNW is very homeschool friendly! I came from Iowa (NOT hs friendly) to Washington and it has been wonderful to find such a large support network here. There are few requirements, lots of hs groups, a great state convention each year, and a few homeschool supply stores too (my favorite place to shop
) Our park and rec even offers hs swim lessons during the day during the school year and is open to offering other rec classes too if we get enough kids interested. And they're cheap too!
I think CA, OR and WA would be the top choices.
Good luck
Ann

·
Registered
738 Posts
I enjoy homeschooling in Raleigh. There are lots of homeschool support groups here, and really, the laws here aren't tough. Stricter than Texas, maybe, but not bad at all.

We also have nice museums, and lots of parks.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
i vote for PNW... we are in az and while there are no regulations there are no activites and the area is lacking in quality museums etc...

maybe someday my dream will come true...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Michigan! Laws are great, zero/zilch reporting. Nada. Specifically, nearer to the bigger cities. Ann Arbor, Detroit and Suburbs, Battlecreek, Lansing, etc. So, I guess I would say southern lower Michigan, but that's only because I do not have experience with the more northern parts, other than that it's beautiful and, of course, the laws are statewide.

My area is a suburb of Detroit but also very close to Ann Arbor. So much to do, we belong to a great secular/inclusive support group, it's a good thing

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
We live near Corvallis, Oregon, and it's very homeschool-friendly. We have a big secular group that includes lots of unschoolers. My parents were worried about socialization -- my kids have more friends than we know what to do with, honestly.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I think raleigh/durham sound marvelous - sort of my dream to move there. Not sure about the legal issues but I know there are just GOBS of hsers there.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3sweeties
ALASKA!!!

Yup, Alaska.

You can go at it on your own out of you own budget and pretty much do what ever you want or if you don't mind a few standardized tests and minimal paperwork you can join one of several extention programs and get a $ allotment to help pay for lessons, curriculum and supplies. There are tons of folks in my community who HS.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaywyn
Michigan! Laws are great, zero/zilch reporting. Nada. Specifically, nearer to the bigger cities. Ann Arbor, Detroit and Suburbs, Battlecreek, Lansing, etc. So, I guess I would say southern lower Michigan, but that's only because I do not have experience with the more northern parts, other than that it's beautiful and, of course, the laws are statewide.

My area is a suburb of Detroit but also very close to Ann Arbor. So much to do, we belong to a great secular/inclusive support group, it's a good thing

I second this. MI can really suck on some things but homeschool and anti vax is actually excellent (you can sign off for philosophical reasons with the vax)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts