Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who homeschooled for preschool, when did you start? What/how much did you do?

I figure that since I want to stay home until ds2 goes to school, I might as well homeschool ds1 for preschool and maybe kindergarten.

He is only two this year, but I am just thinking about it early.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I first found it useful to think of our lives in terms of unschooling beginning when dd was 3yo, I guess because that is the age at which I would have sent her to school, had we been doing school. I didn't change much about our activities, at least not that wouldn't have changed anyway, because she was older. I did change the way I perceived them, and began developing a new awareness around responding to dd. I read a lot of John Holt and began reading here.

As it happened, 3yo for dd was a time of incredible verbal, especially narrative, energy. Hearing and telling stories (both to others and to herself while playing) was virtually a full time occupation for awhile. All understandings, even understandings of the natural world, were narratized. At another time, she became very absorbed in art and drew and painted for hours every day. Dh helped her learn how to use Corel Draw software. He also played alphabet-related games with her when she was becoming interested in the sounds of letters. We provided spellings when she asked, in the course of captioning her drawings or writing letters to grandma. And of course we continued to take her to the park and library, include her in cooking and housework, and google topics of interest with her when she asked.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
we started when my oldest daughter was about 3 and did 3 days a week for a couple of hours at a time. we cherry picked various concepts from different systems that felt right for us (set up different centers w/a facilitator and let everything be child led.) The two other mothers I did this with shared the same goals as I did-which was to have their children feel comfortable with caregivers other than mom, and to have some social interaction.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a teacher (BA in English with extra course work for a teaching certificate and an MA in Teaching English as a Second Language). As you can guess, unschooling would be difficult for me. I am very used to having a plan. I noticed this is one of the things Holt comments on: being a teacher is actually a disadvantage when it comes to homeschooling.

In any case, I feel that I would like to set some goals for preschool. Are there curriculums or at least ideas on what to cover. I taught high school and really could use some ideas for fun stuff for small children.

TIA!

·
Registered
139 Posts
My son just turned two a little over a week ago. I did a birthday theme week with him the week prior to his birthday and then last week started following the Letter of the Week curriculum. We both enjoy it. I'm a planner and organizer, so having a schedule of themes to follow works great for me.

Teresa Jo

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarAndSun
In any case, I feel that I would like to set some goals for preschool. Are there curriculums or at least ideas on what to cover. I taught high school and really could use some ideas for fun stuff for small children.
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it is full of ideas for fun stuff for small children: http://www.besthomeschooling.org/art..._ps_kdgtn.html (This was written by Lillian J, who often posts here.)

For art specifically, we have found the book Young at Art, by Susan Striker, helpful. (Disregarding its more dogmatic aspects, and focusing on the ideas about how to be supportive of and provide materials for small child art.)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Just wanted to add, you may have noticed the recent Homeschooling Preschool Aged Children support threads, June and July. In them, you'll find many websites, books, and ideas mentioned by posters with diverse homeschooling styles. And you're welcome to join in, of course.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I "started" at 3 simply because this is when I made the descision to HS. I don't really do a curriculum. Instead I basically make sure each day includes:
a fine motor activity
gross motor activity
some art
some literature (including reading one poem)
some nature study
some sort of math activity
time to play with a friend

I don't always get everything in but look for oppurtunities whenever we can. Quite often poetry reading and story time occur while dd2 is sitting on the potty. Can you imagine the three of us camped out around dd2's potty chair with a stack of books? I'm not sure how that started but the dd's have made a habit of it.

In anycase I think that what has been most useful to me as a newbie hser is to do a bunch of reading on preschool child development and education theory. I've gottem so much out of researching methods like Charlotte Mason, Montesorri, Unschooling, etc.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarAndSun
I am a teacher (BA in English with extra course work for a teaching certificate and an MA in Teaching English as a Second Language). As you can guess, unschooling would be difficult for me. I am very used to having a plan. I noticed this is one of the things Holt comments on: being a teacher is actually a disadvantage when it comes to homeschooling.

TIA!
I'm a former sp ed teacher and I think it did help me rather than hinder me. What I did is look up "typical course of study" on google. Worldbook has a site that shows what most kids across the country should know at various levels. I then looked at preschool (my dd was 4) and wrote down what she didn't know yet. I then made up long and short term goals for her for preschool. We started last fall with full lesson plans where I tried to make sure that we were doing math, reading, science, etc at least 3-4 times a wk for each theme that we did. That was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. We decided to take December off to concentrate on holiday projects (we made almost all of our Christmas presents last year). I realized that she continued learning academic stuff even without me trying. Then in January, when I found out I was pg and feeling very tired and sick, trying to do lesson plans and school just didn't happen. So we've been living life for about 8 months now and she's learning how to read and do simple math (her ideas not mine, lol).

I'm going to still make up goals for kdg. I want to make sure that she stays somewhat on track. But since she wouldn't have to even start kdg for another year yet, I'm not going to stress about pushing her to do more than she wants. I do want to do simple themes again, just because she really enjoys them and I want to make sure we do a balance of activities but I'm really seeing the value of letting her lead the way and I'm really thinking that instead of trying to do each subject each day we'll do one focus each day and then see where it takes us. Like doing an open ended science project and seeing what tangents we can take from there. Last year we did a sink/float experiment with mini-pumpkins, apples, corn, acorns, leaves. It is still one of my dd's fav things. At least once a month she gathers various objects, I fill the sink 1/2 full of water and she spends an hour or so "experimizing" as she calls it.

There are tons of preschool ideas on the web. I get tons of ideas by using google. There are also lots of preschool idea websites. I just pick and choose ideas from all of them. I have yet to find a curriculum that I actually like. I liked the idea of Five in a Row, but when I got one of the books out of the library, I didn't really like the book itself. So I wrote down some general ideas from it and I'm going to try to use some of them but still make my own lessons.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
There are a whole lot of ideas on this page: preschool/kindergarten. At the top is a box of articles, and underneath that is a long, annotated list of links to sites that have all sorts of fun things to do with young children.
Lillian

·
Registered
832 Posts
Pretty much I consider us homeschooling our almost two year old already. I guess you could say we're "unschooling" for preschool years, and will pick up more structure as he grows. We're not in a hurry, he's picked up some letters (A, B, C, D, T, M) and he can count 123..6. Lol. Let your little guy enjoy his young years with lots of playing, I think that's important, and I'm not even an unschooler long-term. I think thats one of the reasons to homeschool, so your children have time to play outside and climb trees rather than having to sit all day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts