Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really attracted to the idea of HS my DD, now 4 and in 1/2 day public prek in Cal. However, I have a lot of "bad mommy" days where I am impatient and yell, especially if I do not have some time alone, time to exercise or eat properly.

I wonder if some of you could share how exactly you are able to keep time and space for self care in the context of home or unschooling. Since I am SAHM with no income other than DHs, I need ideas that won't involve spending money.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
First of all, it gets easier to find me time as children get older and become more self-suffient and are able to entertain themselves better.

Some things I do:
*I exercise in the morning. I do a workout video while my kids are eating their breakfast and getting dressed.
*I entertain myself while my kids are playing. During the day while the kids are playing, I read, knit, surf the internet.
*I get out at night while DH is with the kids. It can be something as simple as going to the grocery store by myself, or going out with a friend for coffee, or going to a meeting.
*I get together with a girlfriend once a week. We are both homeschooling moms, and we get together with our children one morning a week. While the kids play, we have a chance to chat and have an adult conversation.
*DH and I make it a point to have a date night at least twice a month. We go out to dinner, a movie, a concert, etc.

Some people find that having a daily schedule helps them to fit "me time" into their day every day. I also find that making a menu helps to make sure we're eating well, and it keeps me organized.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I agree with the PP.

Between my MP3 player, having a friend over as needed, and date night on fridays with my Dh I've been a fairly happy camper.

We're a one income family so we have to keep it cheap.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This is an interesting thread for me, as this is a question I've wondered about too. I'll be starting hs in a few weeks and I am concerned about how much time I'm going to have for myself. Not to sound selfish, but my alone-time to just read or whatever is really important to me!

Ann I really like your ideas. I'll keep those in mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like your ideas too. I guess I've never been really good at keeping to a schedule, though I've gotten better at dinnertime, bedtime and breakfast time. It's the yawning afternoon and early evening that get me.

I like getting out and seeing others, but sometimes it's stressful b/c the girls have already started this exclusionary behavior, but that's a whole nother post.

DD loves tv. She said she wants to HS but when I said I might limit TV more she said, "that's ok, I'll go to school". She watches about an hour a day, but more if she's sick. How do you keep them away from the TV w/o tossing it?

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
For alone time I give up sleep. I have a lot of kids though, so this is my only option. I stay up late and do things that I want to do then.

As for TV.....well, mama, you're the boss. My kids might wanna eat sugar all day but that's just not gonna fly.....

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by garden sea and sky View Post
I like your ideas too. I guess I've never been really good at keeping to a schedule, though I've gotten better at dinnertime, bedtime and breakfast time. It's the yawning afternoon and early evening that get me.

I like getting out and seeing others, but sometimes it's stressful b/c the girls have already started this exclusionary behavior, but that's a whole nother post.

DD loves tv. She said she wants to HS but when I said I might limit TV more she said, "that's ok, I'll go to school". She watches about an hour a day, but more if she's sick. How do you keep them away from the TV w/o tossing it?

Putting the t.v. out of the way and into an armoire might help. Also, as the parent, I think you're the one who decides if your dc goes to school or homeschools. It sounds like something she's holding over your head.

As for ME time? You might have to include your child in some things that you may not have before. You can let her ride the bike while you run next to her. You can take her to the childcare at an affordable gym. She can help with meal planning if you give her guidelines ex. one fruit, one vegetable, one protien and one starch. Give her choices and let her put them onto a weekly meal planning chart. She can clean and cut salad, peel cucumbers, assemble sandwiches and help gather ingredients. My children love to set the table and do it well.

Best to you
Lisa (mom to 3 wonderful children)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa49 View Post
She can help with meal planning if you give her guidelines ex. one fruit, one vegetable, one protien and one starch. Give her choices and let her put them onto a weekly meal planning chart. She can clean and cut salad, peel cucumbers, assemble sandwiches and help gather ingredients. My children love to set the table and do it well.

Best to you
Lisa (mom to 3 wonderful children)
Lisa, great idea. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts