Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>We just started communicating with the local homeschooling society, and this after many phone calls and trying to find their not defunct and inaccessible websites (to no avail). They now use Google Groups for communication, and the way they use it makes it difficult to make sense of the discussions.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, my dp has set up and administrates a few discussion boards similar to MDC, so he offered to set one up for the group so that their discussions could be more easily followed. He set it up for every registrant to have administrator and moderator status, and for the board to be completely private, for invited members only. It is at no cost to anyone in the group, and there is a balance of responsibility for anyone who wants it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So the day after he set it up after receiving a few confirmations from members that they'd like to try it out because they really disliked Google Groups, the not-by-title head of the society wrote in the GG discussions that before this gets going too quickly and gets out of hand (?), the group has to meet before any member can register at the board, and that she'd already received a call from a member who was VERY concerned and upset by the <em>whole thing</em> (wth?). Since then, other members have been curtly instructed to not register until a decision has been made. My dp was invited to make a presentation at an ice rink (!) explaining what he has done. They're freaking out as if dp invented the telephone and it's going to be the ruin of family life and society as a whole. Some people are genuinely confused about why anyone would be concerned at all. If nobody wants to use it, nobody will. Simple, right? I guess not.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The leader explicitly forbade any members from even registering to see the board before the group agrees on whether or not they will communicate via anything other than what they have. If someone doesn't know what a discussion board is, they are not going to be able to make sense of it through a discussion at an ice rink.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And what a mountain came from this not-even mole-hill! Dp totally smoothed it over (thankfully- he's filling his guitar lessons roster, so he was a bit concerned that his offer to make things soooo much easier has turned into something it isn't; he doesn't want to lose students!). *I* unsubscribed from the group, lol.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Honestly, it took twenty minutes to set up, and dp's not put out, except by the very unexpected sudden paranoia and bizarre control-mongering of the "leader." We're kind of sad though, because this is the only group in our area (like within 9 hours' driving), and there's just no way that I would be a member of a group that even thought any individual or group could decide for me what avenues are permitted for my communication. Also, hooking up with other families was part of our plan for bettering my health, and I really need some sort of support for various reasons. A ready-made, like-minded group would have been awesome, but it's not to be. At least not in this way.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Should we start our own group? We've been seriously considering it. Has anyone here started a group? What are some things to keep in mind? I've never deliberately initiated a group of any kind; I'm a pretty extreme introvert, so just considering this may take me until next year, lol.</p>

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
<p>Welcome to homeschooling politics ;) Our local group (long, long story) requires a fee to belong to their yahoo group (other perks are provided) but there has always also been a free yahoo homeschool group for the area, too. It was seldom used last year until the original for-fee group decided to become a "society" (for legal and tax purposes, I think) and a WHOLE bunch of people took their toys and went home. Now, the free list is more active than the for-fee list and the for-fee list mod posted a reminder a few months ago about how our list is private and if we post to the other list we should be careful because that info is searchabel, yada yada. Total middle school you-hurt-my-feelings B.S. I was honestly stunned. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>But, there is value in belonging. Many of the people with older kids were some of the original homeschoolers in the province when the legislation was passed to allow the freedom we have - they did the leg work for us and were able to rally the troops when the provincial HS org was about to fold due to lack of interest to be replaced by a group affiliated with the HSLDA (not sure if I got the acronym right...).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, the politics you encountered does not surprise me. If I were you, I'd think it would be worth it to know these families anyway for support, friendship, resources. Can you maybe call this lady up and explain to her that you aren't trying to steal her thunder? Or you could just put out an all-call for people to sign up anyway. Odds are that she's no more popular with the rest of the group...</p>

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>You know, my family is seven people. We would love to just have a few families we can do things with, and we really do not need a whole group, and especially not the politics/middle school dynamics.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think I'll take your advice and just call up some of the families privately and see if they're interested in just getting together to meet and play. That would really fulfill our needs at this point.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Starting a group is not very realistic for us, either. I do not want to be in a group, let alone even perceived as running it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am actually astonished at this, and even moreso that this happens amongst adults in other places. I do actually live under a rock, so I guess I have that excuse, lol.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks, elisheva. :)</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts