Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, ten Albertsons are going out of business. I saw a bunch of workbooks that were available for stunningly low prices, like 30-50 cents each, marked down from $3 - $7. I went ahead and bought about 30 books, figuring what the heck, they will give the kids something to do on long car trips or airplane rides.

I gave each of my daughters, ages two and four, one of the workbooks when we got home.

Well, they loved them and begged for more. Especially the math games for my four year old and the sticker matching for my two year old.

I thought we are supposed to avoid workbooks?

I admit that I have given them each a few more workbooks to play with but I am very nervous about doing so because I have the impression that they are somehow harmful to children's creativity.

If they are OK, I would like to go buy a few dozen more!

·
Registered
727 Posts
If your children enjoy them and ask for them, and you are fine offering them, then workbooks are just fine.

If your children do not enjoy them, balk at doing them, and you start to feel like the pages need to get done(versus letting the kids choose), then workbooks aren't a good fit(or maybe its the certain type of workbook).

There is no one "right way" to homeschool and many homeschoolers include workbooks and textbooks in their curriculum, along with all the other more hands-on stuff.

·
Registered
832 Posts
"Supposed" to avoid workbooks? Says who? There is no right or wrong way to homeschool, just different methods and some people are quite passionate about "their" method. I personally don't care for workbooks if they are busy work-ish as part of school itself. My daughter LOVES those grocery store workbooks and so we buy them for her (she would absolutely die if we bought that many!) and she does them for fun when she wants to. I figure if she's enjoying them there's no harm. I'm certainly not telling her to do them or even how (I have no problem with skipping pages or activities if she so desires). If your girls are liking them, let them do them and feel free to get more.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
See, I personally detest workbooks and coloring books for the creativity reasons. But in true fashion, my daughter loved them, especially when she was aged 3-5 or so. So I got them for her, and she did them, but without a lot of praise or requirements or anything like that from me. Now that she's six, she's not interested in straight workbooks, but she does still like crossword finds, and game books, and the like. So hey, go with what they like. Workbooks (IMO) are a lot more fun-based in the pre-K years than later. The 2nd grade workbooks are not so fun and involve pages of addition problems instead of sticker matching.

P.S. I call them "activity books." For some reason, they're more palatable to ME that way.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
It depends on which philosophy you are following. Waldorf education would never agree, but unschoolers would say if they want them let them have them.

What it comes down to is how do you feel about them using the workbooks?

I can tell you that if you were forcing them to use workbooks at these young ages that would be wrong for sure.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My dd also enjoys doing workbooks. I have a bit of a problem with it because I don't like the single right answer aspect of these activities but I kinda grin and bear it because my dd enjoys them.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My kids always loved workbooks. They treat them like any other fun activity. I buy cheapish ones if they look fun for them or if they ask. I just bought a few yesterday! Dd-9 is into pre-algebra and I found a great little workbook for her that she loved and wanted to do with me as soon as we got home. Ds-5 always brings me J's old books to do with him so I bought him a fresh new one.

I think as long as they enjoy them and you're not scheduling "workbook time" against their wishes, there's no problem with it.

Happy homeschooling!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your thoughtful answers. OK, just a couple more days of the 90% off sale at Alby's. Maybe I'll go see if there are any left for even cheaper! These are the very low key ones for ages 2-5 years of age. They go to a preschool with nothing academic whatsoever, so it really surprised me that they wanted to hunch over and draw numbers and try to add numbers for several hours every day.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Ohmygosh, you could permanently stunt their intellecual growth with stuff like that! Just kidding

Some children do love workbooks - I did when I was a child - and I think those who do are getting a lot of satisfaction of whatever sort and probably even learning something. I think it could damage creativity if they were being forced on them and/or were told there was a proper way to do this or that - but that's not what's happening in this case.
Lillian

·
Registered
179 Posts
My DD LOVES workbooks and coloring books. I buy them anytime I see them on sale. I only get them out if I need to keep her busy though. Like she took some on vacation for the airplane. I also keep a few in the car. Every once in a while she asks to get them out when we're just at home but she'd rather count lima beans

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Just agreeing with everyone else. If your children are loving them then allow them to do them

Especially for that price, that way if they get tired of them you didn't invest a ton of money.

My DD also loves the activity books, I should check my local albertsons since it's closing too. I am with FSM in that I dislike coloring pages and "work" books because a blank piece of paper and some crayons allows for so much more creativity.... but I think they aren't necessarily harmful if they are done whenever and however the child want to do them. My dd will draw lines from one thing to the other, or circle certain objects and it may not be what the directions are telling her to do but it's what makes sense to her. Other times we sit together and I help her do the "lesson" that the book is trying to teach. But it is totally my child taking the lead and if it means having a few "workbooks" in the home then so be it

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You better hurry, the Albys here are closing the day after tomorrow, and I just checked the one closest to my house and the workbooks are sold out. The brand they had is "Learning Horizons" http://www.learninghorizons.com
Now that I have your reassurance that I am not causing lasting learning disabilities, I want to go back and really clean them out.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by inezyv
Now that I have your reassurance that I am not causing lasting learning disabilities, I want to go back and really clean them out.

You go girl!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I know workbooks aren't popular
but if your kids like them, get them! I think that's whats important

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
My oldest adores workbooks and has taught herself quite a bit by using them. She likes them so much she does her best to reuse the books
as in 3-4 times.

I personally don't care for them but it makes her feel like she is doing office work.

Keeps her entertained for hours

We right now have 1st grade material for her. I haven't had much time this summer to help her but she will grab a few book sit down somewhere and look through each and every page of the book. Even if its the teachers manual
: She got dh to read 5 chapters of science to her and middle dd. They where sponges. I so pray I never kill their desire and sprit for learning.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so if you saw stacks of beautiful new workbooks with coordinating markers for pennies on the dollar, you would buy some, too?

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by inezyv
Ok, so if you saw stacks of beautiful new workbooks with coordinating markers for pennies on the dollar, you would buy some, too?

oh yeah.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts