Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been homeschooling my 5 year old son since last year. My problem is that he wants to be around other children all the time and I don't know how to supply him with that need since we are homeschooling. He has a 15 year old sister that goes to public school. So, there are no other children at home during the day for him to interact with. We are a part of a homeschool playgroup but they only meet twice a month. When I take my son to the park he would literally stay there all day and play with the kids.

Am I just reading into this all wrong or does my son need more social interaction than I am giving him? Our homeschool day only lasts an hour or so since we are only doing preschool right now. After we are finished he wants to go and play with someone or do something. I will go out in the backyard and watch him play and do some things with him in the sandbox and such but after awhile you can tell he just gets bored with it. It is like he wants other kids to be around which I can totally understand. I don't want to keep him at home with homeschooling if he is not happy with that but when I ask him about going to public school and being with kids there he gets really upset and says he does not want to go to school.

I guess I am asking for some suggestions on how to keep him socially happy and what other activities I could do with him that would be with other kids. I do take him to the library for activities there but other than that and the homeschool playgroup we attend that is is for his social activity. He also attends Sunday school at church each Sunday and gets a small amount of social interaction there.

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have for me.

Kristy Hart
Mom to Rebecca (15) and David (5)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It's possible, but there are ways to meet that need! Are there any kids at the 2x a month playgroup that he has hit it off with? If so maybe try inviting a family or two over for a playdate & afternoon tea/snack? Or see if anyone in the group is interested in a park day on in between weeks? It's hard with only one at home I'd imagine, I have 3 here and at least they have each other when I just can't be bothered going somewhere! lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you...that is a good idea about inviting the family of the children he has hit it off with from the homeschool playgroup. I never thought of that before. That would help supplement some of the week with a playdate on one day and then a playgroup on the other day.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Kristy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is a very good idea about the Y and their programs. I did sign him up for t-ball in our town so hopefully that will help out with his craving so much social time with other kids. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Kristy

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Cheapest option is playdates as discussed. My 5yo son participates in two sports (swimming and gymnastics) and works out with each 2-3 times a week with other kids. After swim practice the kids generally free play for 15-20 minutes I'd estimate. They don't do that at gymnastics but he does meet buddies there.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Yes to playdates. You could also organize a playgroup of three or four families too.

In my experience - if you build it they will come. I would suggest you start to organize other activities. If you are not already on homeschool email lists for your area I'd do that. A once a week park day is easy to do. Just pick a park, a day, announce it to the list and repeat. Sometimes you may find not that many people come, but in time it will probably build up. Also, you could try to organize something for the off weeks of your existing co-op. Gymnastics places sometimes are cheap during the day or the Y might have a homeschool swim time. Many of these things don't take a lot of energy to organize.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Our YMCA has classes for homeschooled kids. Also, they generally let 5 year olds join in with the preschool activities.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your wonderful replies. You all gave me some great suggestions and ideas. I am going to try and start a weekly park playdate at my local park. Thanks again for all of your help.

Kristy

·
Registered
337 Posts
My son 7 goes to an after school program three days a week. It's about $50 a week, but includes the fee for his martial arts class. He goes 3-4 hours a day (12 hours a week), gets lots of exercise, sees his best friend, and is learning to listen to other adults. I get a few afternoons a week to myself or to go to work. He says it's like the all the fun parts of school.

I found the after school program very open to him being home schooled. I also like that he is with a huge variety of kids (age 5-12) and it is very ethnically and socially diverse, unlike our neighborhood or our home school group. He's the only home schooled kid there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! That sounds like a great program for your son. I love the idea of the martial arts class being included in the price. A very good deal for you. That is so great that the afterschool program is very accepting of him being homeschooled. You don't find that in a lot of places. I wonder if I can find something like that in my area. I will definitely try to see what I can find because I really like that idea. Thank you for posting and I am so glad that things are working out so well for your son.

Kristy

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know people who use the Y after school program and another person who uses a sport related after school program. Since some of the private schools have been hit hard by the economy, many of them are very open to letting HS have access to specials (art, music, PE), sports programs and after school programs for a fee.

My son takes a music class at his former private school. I've found some great (though not necessarily for my kid) opportunities available.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have given me some great ideas and suggestions. I think I will be able to find something for my son to help him socialize more now with all the stuff that is available out there. I didn't realize that they would let a lot of homeschoolers participate in the private/public school activities. So, that is good to know. Thank you again for your advice.

Kristy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.