Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to homeschool my children (ds is currently 2.5 & dd is 1), but most everything I can find in the realm of curricula is for K, a few things for preK, seems to be geared to 4-yr-olds.

Anyway, I can't seem to get my act together to create my own curricula, plans, etc ~ still adjusting to #2, coordinating naps, finding time for a shower
I feel like DS is wanting/needing more from me in the realm of education. I want to support & encourage his love of learning as much as possible!!!

Sooooo.... does anyone know of curricula geared to 2 or 3-yr-olds. I would prefer something that is along the lines of "Homeschooling for Dummies"
and would lay out lesson plans, craft/activity ideas, supplies lists, etc. I would also love a Christian based lesson plan that would include bible study/verses/activities.

Am I asking for too much???

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I think every two year old who spends the bulk of their time with their parents is homeschooled by default. They are learning just by living at that age, and learning all sorts of important skills and concepts like sharing, forming complex sentences, eating with a spoon etc.

IMO it's waaaaaaaay to early to do anything formal and structured.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree. My ds is 2 and he learned his colors "accidentally" by playing with balloons and asking for more "lellow" and "gween." I never sat down with him and taught him his colors. Simply through natural conversation he learned that balloons may have the same shape, yet differ in other properties, i.e. color.

The best advice I received on homeschooling was that by having conversations about the world with your children about math and language you are providing them with enriching opportunities for learning.

I just try to keep plenty of reading material on hand (not boring readers, either! just fun books that he seems interested in; anything with trains, balls, trucks, monkeys, etc.) I bought him those foam bath letters for $4 at Target and he began asking me how to say the letters and remembering them! He now knows most letters but I don't ever force him to tell me or quiz him. The point is to let him express an interest, play with them, then move on. If you keep the experience fun for kids, they will want to learn. I have no reason to believe that this will end when he gets older, so long as I don't kill his love for learning by quizzing him or forcing lessons on him.

I checked out Einstein Never Used Flash Cards: How Young Children Should Play More and Memorize Less from the library and loved it so much I went and bought it! I highly recommend this book!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I think 2 is way too early too, IMHO. I would read aloud a lot. I'd have open-ended art stuff available and things like puzzles. I'd go outside a lot.

If you want some specific craft ideas and recipes, I highly recommend any book by Mary Ann Kohl.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedevinemissm
Am I asking for too much???
yes.

Just do normal stuff - games, art, read to your children, take them places like the zoo, library, etc. That is what "school" should be at that age.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by briansmama
I checked out Einstein Never Used Flash Cards: How Young Children Should Play More and Memorize Less from the library and loved it so much I went and bought it! I highly reccommend this book!

Good Luck.

I read that as well - fantastic book!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Play. Let him help with housework as much as possible. Read, read, read! Go outside. Take occasional "field trips" to the zoo, etc. Do fun stuff for yourself to keep from feeling like a martyr. That's homeschooling for preschool.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! I guess maybe I'm looking at this wrong...or maybe I'm asking it wrong.

Without any real prompting from us he has learned colors (Thank God for Fuzzi Bunz ~ I have the only two-year-old I know that knows "turquoise") He can count to 20, knows his alphabet, loves to "read" his books to us, all the standard preschool stuff.

The curricula is for ME. I need something to help me remember to schedule some learning play/activities. I find that my son is spending more time playing by himself or with his sister as I try to cope with keeping the house from looking like a disaster area.

Please understand that my mom was not SAHM, and I have very few SAHM friends. I am having a hard time knowing what to DO with my kids. Many of my SAHM friends just let their kids watch TV all day. I guess it's more of a cool stuff to-do with my toddler list I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Go to your library and look in the children's reference section. There should be a multitude of books on children's activities. Peruse a few (or many) and check some out. If you find one (or a few) that you particularly like, buy them. Pull them out whenever you feel the urge to do something "homeschooly" with your kids. Pick an activity and do it. That's all you have to do for kids that young!

Namaste!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have found these two resources to be valuable.

2 yr. preschool info.

little hands to heaven

I am trying to decide between Little Hands to Heaven and Hands on Homeschooling for my 2yo ds.

I also have a 4 mo dd and am using some of the Slow and Steady Get Me Ready material. We are not rigid with any of it, but it gives me ideas. I have been doing some research for awhile so if you have any more questions let me know. I cannot believe how much he is ready to learn.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedevinemissm
I find that my son is spending more time playing by himself or with his sister as I try to cope with keeping the house from looking like a disaster area.
Is he happy? Or is he letting you know that he wants more? That's how I, personally, would handle it. Follow his cues.

FWIW, my kids (4 1/2 and 24 months old) spend most of their day playing like this. My 4yo spends a lot of time playing alone, by choice. And he plays with his brother a lot. I follow their cues to see when they need something else. We go to the zoo, park, hs playdates, etc. But when we're at home, they largely direct their own pursuits.

They have benefitted a lot from playing by themselves. I want them to be able to amuse themselves and develop creativity and self-motivation. This is what happens, I think, with free play. It's cool to watch them stretch their minds through imaginative play and exploration. And they're really coming along with sharing, problem-solving, waiting for turns, etc. Sometimes, I don't have cleaning to do, but I purposely step around the corner to let them continue with whatever little scenario they have set up. Kids learn SO much from free play.

If you don't seem to have a typical routine, maybe you could make a loose schedule to organize your efforts. I had one once, but sort of let it go. For us, Monday was vacuuming downstairs and ironing day. Tuesday was upstairs day. Thursday was grocery day. Mornings were the big free time period. We'd walk before lunch. During the afternoon nap, I'd let ds1 choose something that was normally incompatible with the baby. It might be Magnetix, lots of reading, or a craft. Afternoons after the nap, were, theoretically, group activity times. We might get out paints, play-dough, or something seasonal that everyone liked.

For activity ideas, if my son didn't have an idea and he was in the mood to try something new, we'd flip through some books like:
Preschool Art by Mary Ann Kohl
Earthways by Carol Petrash

HTH!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I agree with all the pps who say to read, read, read and play, play, play.

My dd and I love
the shipments we get through Brightervisions.com

Try them...they come every 6 weeks or so and include a hardcover book, some type of craft or game, a music cd or tape and an activity book that is *excellent*.

Our dcs will spend enough time doing "formal" learning in their lifetime. Now is the time for fun!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
I agree with all that's been suggested - what a child that age needs most is play. You can tell stores, sing songs with them, read to them, take them for walks, grow things - but you don't need to be thinking in terms of "homeschooling" for a long, long, long time to come. It's perfectly natural for him to play by himself and with his sister, and you can also do lots of fun and educational things with them that are a lot more appropriate and relevant than the 3Rs. There are lots of ideas in this article about pre-school/kindergarten - it has links to sites that have a lot of ideas too.
Lillian

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Check out Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready. It has fun, age appropriate activities to teach for the first 5 years.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I can understand what you're looking for, I felt the same way when my oldest child was 2. I felt like I should be doing *more* with him. I also felt like I needed specific ideas of what to do with my children, other than the normal housework stuff. I've tried a number of things over the years. I used letter of the week with some success. I also liked Hands on Homeschooling, although I was rarely organized enough to really use all of it. And my kids LOVED the stuff from Brighter Vision. I'd suggest trying the free letter of the week curriculum first. And if you don't like it, try Brighter Vision. It's relatively inexpensive, and you can try it out for a month or two to see if you like it, without making a big commitment.

Just a note about one of the programs suggested above- Little Hands to Heaven. Although I haven't used that particular program, I am currently using the Kindergarden program (Little Hearts for His Glory). It is much more conservative/ fundamentalist than I expected it to be. I am easily able it to fit the needs of our (Reformed Christian) family, but if it's something you're interested in, make sure you take a GOOD look at the sample pages before you buy.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Abeka has some stuff for 2's and 3's, mainly arts and crafts and nursery rhymes and what not. With my daughter, I just used the tupperware shape ball and asked her to show me the shapes and we used little foam letters and numbers. Now that she is doing real "school" I bought the nursery stuff for my son who always wants to be like his sister and wanted school books too. Anyway, Abeka is christian and their colourful books are appealing for the little ones.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Many two year olds like to sing songs, have stories told to them, dance, "wash" dishes in the sink, play with blocks together, treasure hunt, sort toys, make applesauce, play with play dough, draw with crayons/markers/chalk, play with puzzles. There are so many things to do with a 2 year old.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.