Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a small "homeschool" on my property with 5 or so students, and one of my prospective students has Asperger's. I have worked with several students with Asperger's as a classroom teacher, but I believe that these students were "higher functioning" (I don't know what the respectful term is here, but I mean their reading of social cues and ability to handle change and process verbal information was more refined). I would really appreciate some advice for helping this student to be successful with me. He is 14 years old, and he met another one of my students last night at a party, where they seemed to get along well. I, myselff, have not met him formally; he was playing with some other kids (and I mean playing - running around and playing games!), and it was more appropriate for me to just watch him and not artificially introduce myself.<br><br>
The structure of the day will be something along the lines of focused work in the morning (eg, formal math, reading, writing, science indidividualized for each student or perhaps pairs of students when appropriate) with more time in the afternoon for students to explore what interests them with me as a resource-finder and guide.<br><br>
Any advice is very welcome!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm not sure my advice will apply ... My ds is only 6, and after an eval for Asperger's, they said he "showed signs" but didn't make an official diagnosis. Anyway, he does struggle socially. For him (at his age, and ability to cope) he needs a quiet space when he's feeling stressed. He went to a Montessori preschool/K, and they were able to accomadate him and give him room to do his own thing at certain points. He has never been required to participate with the other kids - only if he wanted to, and felt comfortable. One reason we'll be homeschooling next year is that he really needs to do things in his own time, without pressure to complete in a certain time frame. And he needs to be able to walk away from any chaos, and come back to us when he's ready.<br><br>
Good luck!! I think like any other student, you will be observe what works for him and what doesn't, and make adjustments accordingly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts