Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mamas! DH and I want to HS our 2 year old. (In a FUN and non-pressured sort of way. If we see he isn't ready, we'd drop it until he was.) We can't afford Montessori and really want to do something like preschool, ourselves here at home. Are there books/activities/"curriculums" for homeschooling preschoolers?

I thought we could do some things for a couple of hours each day. I'd love to incorporate crafts and music time as well...any ideas for those?

Also, how do I know the best "level" at which to start him? He will turn 2 next month, but I feel is ready to be challenged a bit. He can count, knows all of his colors, can spell his name, knows and can write about 50% of the alphabet, and can "read" about 40 words - though at this point I know that is more memorization than actually knowing how to sound them out.

If anyone HS their PSer, what is your schedule like?

I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
If you are interested in Montessori, you might want to check out Michael Olaf "Joyful Child" which is a catalog for their store and also a good intro to Montessori in practical terms. You could join the Montessori Makers yahoo list. Also the book "Montessori Play and Learn" and "Montessori in the Home the Preschool Years" might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chfriend
If you are interested in Montessori, you might want to check out Michael Olaf "Joyful Child" which is a catalog for their store and also a good intro to Montessori in practical terms. You could join the Montessori Makers yahoo list. Also the book "Montessori Play and Learn" and "Montessori in the Home the Preschool Years" might be helpful.
THANK YOU!!
Off to look for those books!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wow that's a lot for an almost two year old.... doesn't really leave a lot to learn right now. I didn't even think it was physically possible for a two year old to write letters. Hmmm well I don't have any suggestions in that case, but be sure to let him play independently too.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh definitely, fun and play!
We've never, ever pushed him or emphasized academics/strict learning in any way whatsoever. I think it's a kid's job to play and be a kid - most definitely. I'm sorry if I came across as a dictator here. I honestly don't know how DS has picked up what he has...it's almost like it's "play" to him. We've never had any sort of formal teaching/learning period at all. He wants to draw/write and read words...to him it's a game I guess. We do praise him, but only to give him encouragement and make things exciting.

I probably sounded like a terrible mom...please disregard.
I must have come across all wrong.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloth4Colin
We've never, ever pushed him or emphasized academics/strict learning in any way whatsoever. I think it's a kid's job to play and be a kid - most definitely. I'm sorry if I came across as a dictator here. I honestly don't know how DS has picked up what he has...it's almost like it's "play" to him. We've never had any sort of formal teaching/learning period at all. He wants to draw/write and read words...to him it's a game I guess. We do praise him, but only to give him encouragement and make things exciting.

You didn't come across wrong. I have a 3 1/2 year old who was much like yours when she was 2.

We used Letter of the Week, a free website. Has lots of ideas. I'll write more tomorrow, am falling asleep as I type. Wanted to subscribe to this thread before I forgot...

Edited to add: sounds like your kid is a lot like mine. She's a bit over 3 /12 now ,and we're going over bits of science, math, chemistry, geography, foreign languages, art, music, etc. each day, for a total of 2-3 hours. My daughter THRIVES on this kind of routine, she's just that kind of kid. Anyway, I'll write more tomorrow with more ideas when I'm awake. I'm rambling now...

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

I honestly don't know how DS has picked up what he has...it's almost like it's "play" to him. We've never had any sort of formal teaching/learning period at all. He wants to draw/write and read words...to him it's a game I guess.
Well, it sounds as if he's doing fine on his own
- I'd just make sure he gets in plenty of fun opportunities to really explore imaginative play too. This page has a box of articles, many of which have to do with the importance of that, but it also has a number of annotated links to websites that give fun ideas for activities: preschool & kindergarten learning activities. But you didn't come across as a bad mom, by the way - you said in your original post, I believe, that you would only do as much as he was interested in.
Lillian

·
Registered
840 Posts
I am in a similar situation. My daughter will be three in October and has always been very interested in letters, numbers, writing, reading/recognizing words, etc. Some kids are really into certain animals or vehicles (trains, planes) and others are into letters. At least that is how I see it. My daughter also loves animals and trains and planes, but when we get on a plane she likes to see what letters it has on it and what colors it is.

I am also into Montessori and have found myself using surprisingly little "formal" Montessori (or formal anything for that matter). Our "lessons" are completely spontaneous and short (or long - depends on my daughter's interest and attention span). Sometimes I think of cool things we could do and sort of plan ahead, othertimes we're just playing around and all of a sudden we're spelling.

It all depends on your personality and your son's personality. If your son likes to use the computer (and you like for him to use the computer) there are some web sites my daughter loves:
http://www.starfall.com
http://www.peepandthebigwideworld.com (we love the show on TLC too)
http://www.readysetlearn.com

I have been doing lots of "looking up" online - whatever she's asking about or wondering about. We googled "manufacturing videos" and found a web site (I think it was something like "cool stuff being made") that had lots of videos of manufacturing. We love that one, and there's just about anything you could want to learn about on the internet - so far for us anyway.

I don't have any schedule because our lives are very unscheduled, but you could if you wanted to. The other day Delia wanted to dance so I put a They Might Be Giants CD on while I made dinner and we had a lot of fun (and I got dinner made really easily!), so that's become a habit.

All for now - I'm glad you started this thread.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Hey there, now I'm a bit more awake.

I use ideas from these two books quite often:

Count on Math : Activities for Small Hands and Lively Minds

The Complete Daily Curriculum for Early Childhood : Over 1200 Easy Activities to Support Multiple Intelligences and Learning Styles

Also:

I second the recommendation for starfall.com

For math, I work with house manipulatives. For example, we divide crackers evenly between she and her little sister. We walk over the carpet, stepping on every other square and counting by 2s. Etc. Also, MathStart books are fun, we read a lot of those.

For do lots of arts and crafts -- but nothing I plan out. I give her materials and let her do what she wants with them. Lots of playdough, clay, mmarkers, paper, glue, tiny bits of paper, etc. Let her creativity take over, even if that means just making lots of playdough balls.

Cutting with scissors is a good way to increase fine motor skills, helps with handwriting.

Foreign language tapes and songs.

I always try to work around her interests. For example, from an early age, my daughter also expressed an interest in anatomy. We look at pictures of body parts and organs each day, and we talk about what they do. We have a skeleton floor puzzle. We go online and look at medical pages. Etc.

OUTSIDE! As much as possible. Look at everything, talk about everything. Look -- ants! Where are they going and why, etc. Shadows, sand play, squirrels, birds, etc.

Hope this helps. HAVE FUN!!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

oh dear no you didn't come across that way at all!! You sound like a wonderful mother!!
I'm sorry if I made you feel that way
it was not my intention at all
Its just some people may think (my in laws for one) that from the get go you need/push flashcards,practice numbers/alphabet/times tables all day long and that is "THE most important thing" and I just wanted to get my .02 in that creative play and imagination are most important at this stage. and not to push or get caught up into acedemics overkill. but it sounds like you already know that. My girl is 4 and is starting to write as well. she ASKS me to show her how to spell this or that or what word starts with what letter (or she tells me
)and I don't think that goes against what i was saying if they are interested then its time to show them/teach them and I think thats ok.
looking forward to learning more from this thread!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Quote:

Also, how do I know the best "level" at which to start him? He will turn 2 next month, but I feel is ready to be challenged a bit. He can count, knows all of his colors, can spell his name, knows and can write about 50% of the alphabet, and can "read" about 40 words - though at this point I know that is more memorization than actually knowing how to sound them out.

I'm wondering about the use of "challenge". Seems like he's two and life is enough of a challenge. I'd focus on the preschool basics - sensory experiences, story time, gross motor experiences, nature, crafts, etc.

Tastes vary kid to kid, but our son really enjoyed and got a lot out of parent child music classes (Music Together type classes).

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roar
I'm wondering about the use of "challenge". Seems like he's two and life is enough of a challenge.
Yes, I agree. It's mind boggling to think of how much a two year old is learning and absorbing.
Lillian

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J

Yes, I agree. It's mind boggling to think of how much a two year old is learning and absorbing.
Lillian
Yes -- however, each two year old is different, and some actually appreciate and thrive on structured challenges (in addition to the other things the child is learning and absorbing).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts