Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information for my sisiter. I homeschool my 3 (really it's unschooling). She's single and works and is a student. Her work is flexable so I can't see why she couldn't homeschool. I just need some resources or first hand experiences to share with her (at her request). She lives in MD, if that helps. her son is currently enrolled in public school--first grade. She has an opportunity to work as a nanny starting this fall. How do you dis-enroll a child from public school? she'll be moving to Mass also. So would she need to research the laws regarding HS in Mass or Md...who does she send a letter of intent to? Thanks for any advice.

thanks, Carrie
:

·
Registered
821 Posts
hi there! i'm a single mom that plans on homeschooling!

here you will find a list of states and their laws:
http://www.unschooling.com/resources/states/index.shtml

how do you disenroll? i don't know about that.... when my mom took my brother outta school, i think she just wrote a letter to the superintendent stating that she was going to homeschool...

now don't take my word on this cuz i;m not sure, but when your sis moves, i don;t think she has to send a letter to the nearby school. my aunt has homeschooled my cousin since the beginning, and she never sent the public school any letters.

i hope this helped!!! good luck to your sis

fyrflymommy

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
I'm going to move this to the Learning at home forum. I think you will get more answers from the gals there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a single mom who's been hsing for 2 years now. I work part time as a bartender 1-2 nights a week, ds attends a very good overnight home daycare. It's not as hard as it sounds at first, but the biggest things to deal with are burnout (ds's father is not involved, and I have very little family to depend on in this country), and accepting living on very, very little money. I have to be pretty creative in finding resources, and use the library a LOT. Hsing alone in a very rural situation might be more of a problem, I depend a lot on libraries, the Y, and local museums and galleries.

Working as a nanny might be a great opportunity, but she should make sure to hash out all her and her employers expectations beforehand, and work out a timetable that suits everyone involved.

Is your nephew's father involved in his life at all? If not, your sister should make sure that she has other adults to fall back on, and for her son to connect with. This has probably been our biggest problem, since most of my friends and family have left my city in the last 5 years, moving to much larger urban centers, and now we're kind of on our own, and don't have a good circle of people around us now. Since we're not in any of the usual circles to meet people (work, school, sports), it's harder to establish new relationships. I'm finding that we need to "dilute" our interaction a bit, since it's only the two of us, there's no father, or siblings to be constantly interacting with, we've had to work very hard (especially as ds is approaching his teens) on our relationship, making sure to respect each others privacy, interests, and moods (harder to do when there's no one else to take the pressure off sometimes, or to entertain a bored or sick kid.)

The upside of single parent hsing is that my son and I have total control of our lives, don't have to negotiate with a potentially bitter ex, or convince a skeptical father that hsing is a good thing. We have a lot of flexibility, more than most families, we're not locked into anyone else's schedule, and since there's only two of us, eating out, museums, field trips, etc, are a lot cheaper, as is transportation (I couldn't imagine taking two or three kids on the bus every day!!) A big upside is we have a very close and respectful relationship (most days, LOL), we have to be very open with each other, and have a LOT of fun together.

Don't know about dis-enrolling in MD. Here in Manitoba, I informed ds's school I was removing him, and registered him as a home learner with the HSing office. Took all of 15 minutes. If ds had never gone to school, I would not have had to inform the local school of anything.

Hsing alone is a huge commitment to leap into, especially when there are so few others doing it (I haven't met any other mom who's doing what I do, I've met a few who hs in partnership with an ex, or a new partner), so there's no guidelines, no mentors to look to. It's a tough decision and I wish your sister the best of luck, whatever she decides to do, whatever she decides is the best for her and her son.

Ali

·
Registered
564 Posts
have no resource info but wanted to chime in that I am hsing Kaya who is 4 and I nanny part-time and take her with me. I also registered to take courses at the local college, but recently withdrew for medical reasons. Otherwise, I am doing all that she wants to accomplish. It can be do with a very supportive family friend system.

·
Registered
564 Posts
have no resource info but wanted to chime in that I am hsing Kaya who is 4 and I nanny part-time and take her with me. I also registered to take courses at the local college, but recently withdrew for medical reasons. Otherwise, I am doing all that she wants to accomplish. It can be do with a very supportive family/ friend system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts