Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live is an okay place to hs, but doesn't have as firm a path to second parent adoption as would be optimal for us. (That's where you have two parents of the same gender, and one can adopt the kids without the bio-related one reliquishing parental rights.)

In looking around, it looks like where you've got decent homeschool laws, you've got lousy family laws. Except maybe California? I'd love to hear about progressive places to live with awesome homeschool laws!

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Yes, move to California! Northern California, like Davis, and then we'll go back and visit. Second parent adoption is no problem, and homeschooling laws are easy, very few hassles... and there are lots of homeschoolers and lots of groups, coops, events, conferences... whatever you could want.

Of course, this all costs lots of money, but other than that....

dar

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Maybe you should check out the Seattle area.

I think the WA homeschool laws are pretty good- not too restrictive. My friend who HS in San Diego is often stymied by the CA regs. In WA you have to file your intent to homeschool when your kids are 8, and either have to have them tested or evaluated by a certificated teacher once a year after that. There are a number of subjects that you are "required" to teach- but that requirement is really no big deal. I don't know anyone who really sweats over that. There are lots of different homeschool support groups, co-ops, etc- so there is a group for everyone. There are a number of school district run programs and resource centers that are geared for homeschoolers- some better than others- if you are into those. I know people who love them and people who hate them- we haven't tried them but I like the fact that we have the option. Homeschoolers that are highschool age can also do Running Start- and take classes at local community colleges and the state picks up the tuition.

As far as adoption laws and gay parenting- I know that the area is pretty progressive in this regard. There are gay parents in my church who have children through adoption, and who have biological children (but I don't know if they have done second parent adoption or not). I am pretty sure that it is allowed and recognized in our state though.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I would look for a gay friendly place with a good track record of second parent adoption, and really not sweat the homeschool laws too much. The reality is that you can homeschool anywhere, some places have more restrictive laws but if you are willing to do a bit of paperwork it is doable. I'd rank homeschool laws so low on the list of concerns compared to living some place where there is a good community and where you can afford to live. Have you thought about the Twin Cities - Minnesota and Saint Paul? Big gay community and second parent adoption.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roar
I would look for a gay friendly place with a good track record of second parent adoption, and really not sweat the homeschool laws too much. The reality is that you can homeschool anywhere, some places have more restrictive laws but if you are willing to do a bit of paperwork it is doable. I'd rank homeschool laws so low on the list of concerns compared to living some place where there is a good community and where you can afford to live. Have you thought about the Twin Cities - Minnesota and Saint Paul? Big gay community and second parent adoption.
I agree with the above. The Boston area is also very gay friendly. I personally know of two duo-mom homeschooling families.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Promoting Portland here!!! We're friends with four two-mom families and two two-dad families. Within the city, it's very friendly. I also know loads of homeschooling families. Check out the PDX chat for July.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I would also suggest CA, OR or WA. Of course, cost of living is so high in CA and the Seattle area is getting as bad so maybe OR might be a place to start?
Good luck
Ann

·
Registered
529 Posts
Maryland seems good. (Read: we have legal precedent allowing co-parent adoption, but, in the spirit of MD politics, have yet to get around to an actual law...
) Essentially the same as WA, OR, etc. D.C. has apellate precendent in support and very loose homeschooling oversight... ok, I'm not even sure they have any official oversight in D.C. Maryland has what looks like p.i.t.a. laws governing homeschooling on paper, but, in actuality, it's pretty loose and there are very easy alternatives available to not have to submit to county review. My umbrella/support group has at least one dual-mom family, that I have yet to meet in person, possibly because we don't get out much.

Lots of choices out there for you, I'd say. Of course, now you have the bi-coastal (and in between) decision process. So much for narrowing down your options, huh?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly the responses to this thread have me feeling so good. MD is where my parents live...My mom was a school principal until recently, objects, shall we say strongly, to homeschooling. Her description of the laws was very discouraging. It helps to hear they are workable.

I'm loving hearing about this!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
New Jersey
Awesome homeschooling laws (they don't interfere at all). I had to google the second parent adoption thing because I hadn't heard of it but this is what I found

Quote:
New Jersey
Permits single GLBT and joint adoption. Second-parent adoption allowed.
. Lots of homeschoolers in the northern end of the state too

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I'm not sure if you're open to a very small college town, but where we live in Ohio, there are many two-mama families and the town is only about 3000 people. It's a great community and the cost of living is a heck of a lot nicer than CA or New England. (not that those places aren't great, I'm sure they are
) The homeschool laws in Ohio are very easy to deal with. The rest of Ohio, not so gay-friendly, although I know there are a few areas in Cincinnati that are much more open and I assume the same is true of Cleveland.

I have no idea about the adoption laws here, though. I have a vague memory that last year something very bad was legislated wrt second parent adoption.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Northampton, Massachusetts (Pioneer Valley)--very gay friendly (last I knew, the mayor was a lesbian) and there is a large, eclectic homeschooling community.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.