1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hello new and veteran homeschool mamas!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am planning on homeschooling my DD within the next two years.</p>
<p>If you use a classical approach, please tell me why you chose that approach, and what you like about it.  I would also love to know what you dislike about it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For the record, I will be using <a href="http://www.motherofdivinegrace.org/" target="_blank">Mother of Divine Grace</a>, if we go with a classical approach, and <a href="http://www.chcweb.com/catalog/" target="_blank">Catholic Heritage Curricula</a>, if we don't.</p>

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
<p>We use a classical approach to homeschooling, drawing mostly from The Well Trained Mind and The Latin Centered Curriculum. Dh and I both agree with the philosophy of a classical education; we like the rigor that can come from it (granted, it can also be more relaxed, I think it depends on how one approaches it) and we feel that a classical education will give our children the strongest foundation for their future. I love teaching the material - getting into the nitty gritty of language, for instance, or learning Latin with them. I am starting to make connections between things I had learned when I was young that were never clear to me then because there was very little rhyme and reason behind what I was taught in school. I'm also a logical thinker, and I like being able to teach things in logical progression (language arts or math or history ... ). Sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed with everything that I want to teach or with where I want my children to be when they "graduate" from our homeschool, but I think that's just me and not necessarily indicative of a classical approach. I do feel that with a classical approach, my children will be more than ready for college-level work when they hit that age, and will also be able to pursue any field of interest because they have learned *how* to learn at least as well as they have learned their subjects. </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts