Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site. I hope that this connection will help me find people in our area who are homeschooling teenagers.

I have a 15 y.o. daughter who would be entering 9th grade in Amherst, if we took the traditional route. We are not religious and I would prefer these connections to not have a religious leaning.

My daughter is an equestrian who competes in eventing, which combines xcountry jumping, stadium jumping, and dressage. She just got her first horse and loves spending time with her.

We would love to find some other people to go on field trips with, and hang out with too.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Welcome to the area!

I'm a homeschooling mama, born and raised in the valley. I don't have teens or horses but I'll offer what little help I've got.
Here is a local teen homeschooling center
http://www.northstarteens.org/
Pioneer Valley Performing Arts school has a 'transition' program
http://www.pvpa.org/index.php

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sorry, the little one hit the send button!

Do you guys do 4-H? It might be a good way to meet other horse people and to compete. The local extension office should be able to tell you when and where or who to get in touch with
http://www.mass4h.org/contact/office.html#amherst

The regional 4-H horseshow is August 4, 5, 6 at the fairgrounds just off rte.9 in Northampton (just after the bridge and the baseball field). That might be a good way to meet up with other horse people.

The Umass farm also does riding lessons etc.
Mount Holyoke does as well.

That seems to be all my brain can do at the moment. I'll keep thinking. Have you been to the Jones Library yet? I work in the kids room!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jessica, In social science I remember hearing that one is more likely to find needed resources outside their usulal sphere of family and friends. I think it's true, thank you so much for putting your brain on this.

We did 4H but then dropped it for Pony Club which has a group of kids, but none of them does homeschooling.

I didn't find anything on the pvpa site called "transition program". I know of Northstar, my 22 year old looked into it when it was called Pathfinder. She ended up at GCC, she hated Amherst High. I will be contacting Northstar to see if my daughter can take a couple courses there.

What I would love to have is a connection with another family with a teenage homeschooled daughter. Someone to go on field trips and snowboarding this winter. I am not her favorite companion at the moment--the necessary adolescent quest for independence. Oye.

So if you or anyone else hears of a teenaged homeschooler in the Amherst/Noho area, I would love to meet them. Also, if anyone knows of good tutors with lots of patience and personality to teach academic subjects, I would love to meet them too. Thanks again, Ann:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Jessica, I forgot to say that I wrote I am new to the site, not new to the area. We moved out here from Cambridge 25 years ago. Ouch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts