Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I am an unschooling/homeschooling expert. I didn't think I would homeschool past grade 7 because that is where my math ability ends. Yet, my kids wanted to keep going. Their first math class online was grade 7 or 8 and their first social studies, english classes were about grade 10 and 11. Their first science courses were grades 9 or 10.

As the kids got into later grades in high school, they either self-taught by finding really cool resources on the internet (don't underestimate their ability to find information on topics they want to know about), or by taking a class online or at an adult upgrading school, or for the subjects they were strong in, they just challenged exams - SATs or others.

Three of my kids graduated university (Engineering, Nursing and English) one is still in second year (Chemistry) and one is finishing off his 5 grade 12 courses needed for entrance.

I would be happy to support you and answer your questions in relation to child and brain development.

Warmest wishes, Judy

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm not against homeschooling but I'm afraid that it is better to let them experience the traditional school and play after school.

However, due to our completely different world our best option, for now, is homeschooling better than just letting your kids spend their time playing and wasting time.

You just have to spend for a better net connection, pc set-up & of course find an online tutor or school.

I think this is a good set up https://www.adorama.com/le10ym0034us.html, since this is cheap and it will not let them play hardcore games which means they can focus on their studies.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm...perhaps you don't know what the concept of unschooling is. It is self-directed learning which occurs through play. It doesn't separate learning from life or leisure. And it has great research behind it. When children are interested in what they are learning about, the information sticks whereas children who are bored in school are not going to retain what they are learning.

As in my previous post, Video Games Make Kids as Smart as Homework, gaming and screen time is just another dish on the buffet of learning.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Socialization is more than finding friends

Good question. How does socialization work in homeschooling? Children play differently according to their brain development. They move from single play (babies) to parallel play (toddlers) to cooperative play (preschoolers) to associative play (young children) which is elementary school years. Children ages 4-12 have friends based on who is around them and shares the same interests. I remember my child telling me about his friend at age 6 but couldn't remember his name or where he lived. As children move into the teen years, their friends are deliberately chosen based on shared interests but also shared values, beliefs and attitudes.

All children need is one good friend and siblings count, although they can have scads of them if they want. Most homeschooled children are still very much close to family and siblings because family comes first, but also see many outside the family friends because homeschoolers do not stay at home! They "community school." Friends come from lessons, outings, group projects, co-ops, musical and art community groups, Girl Guides, church, neighborhood, etc. Friends are not just the same cohort as classmates. So homeschooling socialization is more diverse than an age-sorted classroom. Friends are from all cultures, races, genders, family shapes, and ages.

Friends also change depending on life cycles. My daughters friends in early childhood are not the friends she had in high school and not the same friends she had in university. There are new friends for every new life stage. We were looking at photo albums the other day and she doesn't remember any of her childhood friends before age 12. Same with my other 4 kids.

Socialization doesn't have to be a worry in homeschooling. Friends are everywhere!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts