Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I have been dreaming my whole life of living on a cheap piece of land in a cabin with my family and some small farm animals. I have a very social 10 year old son and a 5 year old daughter. We tried homeschooling but my husband works full-time and I work part-time at the hospital (both nurses).

We desperately want to buy a piece of land about an hour from the city, so we can have low living costs and pay down our huge student loans. And also have my husband work on a part-time basis so we can have more time together as a family. But, our children sill want to go to public school and are very involved in sports and dancing classes. I would want to keep them in the things they love, but imagine it would be exhausting getting them to town multiple days a week.

Is anyone doing this with kids? Is it worth it?

Any input, advice and experience sharing welcome and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you're gonna move an hour into the country do it wholeheartedly. Homeschool or school in that community. Find extracurriculars in that community. They may not offer the exact same things but there will be things. Nothing wrong with visiting the city. I love it, but don't sign up for a ton of driving and commitment. You don't want to feel like a commuter. We still do church and museums in the city. More than that would feel burdensome.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree with farmermomma about staying close to your community, we moved to the country and in order to do so I promised my kids nothing would change and they could still do all of the things they did living in town. It is tiring at times, we often don't get home until 9 pm but I signed up for it. I have very little time to enjoy the country life because we always have somewhere else to be although when I do it is so worth it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
It w worth every second of the from sunrise to sunset labor we put into the earth as well as every torrid emotion of suffering when lost it all. And yet I would homestead again in a heartbeat!
We had sixteen acres and raised an array of stock and all our veggies. However I always had a garden and either quail or chickens in the city and rabbits or goats. Let's face it goats and chickens don't make it in an apartment but I pulled off quail and meat buns in a apartment before kids, lol.
Although we homeschooled my oldest did soccer and scouts. There we plenty of scholarships to cover fees and always friendly folk from church to take along an extra kid to a game if I had to stay home for a difficult kidding, haha love that pun.
Anyways keep imind that many families set out with ambition just to end up living in a country home and spending most of their life commuting, kids in after school Activites etc rather than having enough time at home to homestead. I firmly believe there should be one stay at homestead parent to hold down the fort but with two partners working part time it will probably work!
Blessings to you and your family. Also check out homesteading today, it's a form for all things country and one of the sub sections is countryside families. Chances are you will find a lot of support and helpful ideas if you ask on there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts