Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone drive a Honda Odyssey?? What are your experiences?

I'm looking for a car that can seat 7 (or 8???) and is good on gas...I've been told that Honda's minivan is very good.

I haven't found any station wagons that seat this many...and still have some storage. We do travel quite a bit so I still need storage space. I'm trying to compare minivans on-line but it's hard to figure it all out.

I thought I'd never drive a minivan but I think that day has come.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
my SIL has one. I would never buy a minivan but if I did that is the one I would get! it's so comfy and drives so nice!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
We bought one last year. We looked at the odyssey and the toyota sienna since they are the top rated ones by consumer reports. The Sienna was #1, but then when they redesigned the oddyssey in 2005 I guess it edged the sienna out. From what I could tell they are both great so we just looked at both and went with the one we liked better. We like it a lot. I liked the 8th seat in the odyssey because if you remove it you still have two big captains chairs. In the sienna you have to go with a seperate option for 8 seats and then the seats on the sides are smalle rand don't have armrests, so if you ever remove hte middle seat its not the same as the 7 seater.

Anyway, so far we've had it over a year and are very happy with it. It gets decent gas mileage, I wish it was a hybrid, but they've yet to come out with a hybrid minivan.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have some time before we're going to buy but I can tell we are outgrowing our current vehicle and so I'm thinking ahead. DH really doesn't want a minivan...but I don't feel comfortable with the gas I'd go through in a larger SUV (to seat 7-8). I'm hoping their is going to be a breakthrough of sorts with cars and mpg's and all. Plus, from what I can tell to get to the third row you have to basically climb over the second row...I can see that getting old when you have 4 kids in boosters/carseats to strap in...

Do the back windows go down in an Odyssey?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've had my odyssey for 5 years and it's awesome. I'm sure the new one is even better. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Believe me my dh has tried.
I'm thinking my gas milage is about 24 hwy and 21 city which beats alot of suv's and other vans. I really love it and have only had it in the shop one time for a part that was warrantied. So go for it.

·
Banned
4,983 Posts
I have had a Honda Odyssey for 5 years, 2001 EX model. We just bought the redesigned 2006 van in April and it is better than the older models. Really. Seats are more comfortable. 14 hours drive to AZ proved it. DH swears by it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
We just got one too. It was either Honda or Kia and we chose Honda. They drive like a luxury car. The 8th seat is a necessity for us. The air conditioning was better. They keep their value longer. We know many new Kia owners but we didn't know anyone who owned one for more than 2-3 years. We want long term use so that influenced our choice too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We have an '06 Odyssey, and while I like it, I would never try to put more than six people in it (unless they were mostly kids). You can't access the back row without climbing unless the second row center "seat" is out (and even with it out it's still not the most graceful). Back windows do not go down, and it does get stuffy without the fan/air on. Storage is great, though, and the different configurations are pretty easy to arrange.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the replies..this is helping.
In our sitation we will use the car for 4kids often and sometimes 5.
We will sometimes have 2-3 kids and 2-3 adults but not as often.

I saw a Honda Odyssey today with the back wondow down...? Wonder if that is an older model or newer one??? I couldn't tell. It's not that big of a deal ... the kids love putting the windows down but it drives me nuts when they don't agree on its position anyway.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
When you say back window which do you mean? The odyssey has three windows on the side, the front and middle go down, but the back doesn't open at all... I can't speak for the older models but the line was remodelled in 2005 so this is how the 05/06's work.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
We bought an 05 last year and love it. We only have one DC, but we have one due in December as well, and a large dog. We also take quite a few long road trips every year, including several drives between NC and PA to visit family. The space is really nice to have. We also pull a pop up trailer for vacations sometimes, so we needed a somewhat larger vehicle.

We just got back from a big road trip for a wedding and we averaged about 26mpg on the way up there, which I think is awesome
We get less than that when we are not driving all on highways, but overall for the size of the vehicle, the fuel economy is pretty good

I love the 8th seat, but I'm very petite (well, when not pg LOL) and I use this seat to nurse my 2.5 year old in the car on long trips (yes, both of us are strapped in LOL). It has been a real life saver for us!

The features are great, all of the safety features are standard on all trim lines (all have side impact air bags for example, whereas when we were looking at Siennas last year, you had to upgrade to a higher package to get side impact air bags). We skipped the navigation and DVD systems, which can sometimes get you a better deal (less demand for the non DVD non Navigation models). We did opt for leather.

We found some GREAT resources when we were in the research stage... edmunds.com (they have great tips on how to negotiate online, which I highly, highly recommend over going to the dealership to negotiate. We saved sooo much money this way and paid just below invoice price, which was great). Edmunds also has info on how to handle trade ins, etc. and also has a board just on Odysseys I believe. Also odyclub.com is great as well. Between edmunds and odyclub, I was able to find out what dealers were selling odys for in my area, and we set a "target" price for the model we were interested in. I emailed about 8-10 dealers and negotiated online and by phone to get the best price. It worked really, really well.

Good luck. I think the Siennas and Odys are both great, some of it is a matter of personal preference. I've recently heard some good things about the Kias but didn't look into them much myself.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mightymoo,
I guess I meant the window in the middle-- by the second row.
That's what I saw down and I was surprised. The only minivan I've actually driven was a Dodge and those middle wondows didn't do down at all. Someone told me that the Sienna is the only van whose second row windows go down..
I just need to go drive an Odyssey!! My dh isn't totally on board yet. At first he said no way to a minivan and now he says maybe...I'm ttc so hoping once we're expecting again he'll be more into the idea of an Odyssey.

I've heard the Touring model gets the best gas mileage...but that's kind of expensive...not sure if we could swing that??

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I think in the 2004 model season that was true - the Sienna line was revamped in 2004 and I think they were the first to add the middle windows that actually go down, but the odyssey was revamped in 2005 and they also added that. So it may be just a matter of when your friend was looking at the minivans. I don't know about any of the others, I'm guessing some others probably have it now too.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilcrunchie
We just got back from a big road trip for a wedding and we averaged about 26mpg on the way up there, which I think is awesome
We get less than that when we are not driving all on highways, but overall for the size of the vehicle, the fuel economy is pretty good

I love the 8th seat, but I'm very petite (well, when not pg LOL) and I use this seat to nurse my 2.5 year old in the car on long trips (yes, both of us are strapped in LOL). It has been a real life saver for us!
I like the middle seat for car trips too - I never nursed in it, but when we did our huge car trip from WA to SD when DS was a few weeks old, I could sit back there and calm him down. On a regular basis though we leave it out. Another cool thing is that it can be stored in the floor of the van if you want (you have to take the lazy susan out to do it, but I honestly haven't found the lazy susan that useful - I have too much crap on the floor of my van to put something I access regularly under it)

Quote:
The features are great, all of the safety features are standard on all trim lines (all have side impact air bags for example, whereas when we were looking at Siennas last year, you had to upgrade to a higher package to get side impact air bags). We skipped the navigation and DVD systems, which can sometimes get you a better deal (less demand for the non DVD non Navigation models). We did opt for leather.
What I did was go through all the features and mark each either 'don't care', 'nice to have' or 'required' and determined the price and cost of the trim line that had all of our requireds for both the sienna and the odyssey. I found that while hte sienna looks cheaper on the surface, I had to add a LOT of option packages to get what I really wanted and the prices were pretty comparable. With the odyssey its very simple - 4 trim lines, other than DVD and nav, that's it. I found that the odyssey was cheaper for the level of required and nice to have features we wanted. We went for the leather and DVD and I really like the DVD personally, it makes car trips so much easier. DD doesn't watch TV at home much, so that makes long car trips a treat for her in some ways. I am glad we got the leather - it gives it a nicer feel and liquids don't sink in so easily...

Oh, and when we looked over the sienna, I couldn't manage to figure out out to put the back seats up and down easily (even with the salesman showing me) and when I tried the odyssey it was so easy to do, that sold me too.

We also bought the all weather mats - rubber mats instead of the rug ones that come with it and the rubber liner for the back - the liner was in the car when we bought it, but I bought the mats online for half the cost of what it would have been with the dealer. So when you are negotiating, don't let them try to sell you any of those extras - you can order them all online for half the cost and its the exact same Honda genuine parts.

ETA - one of our thought process with the DVD was in resale. So many vans now a days have DVDs that it seems like if we want to sell it in 7 years it will be worth so much more with one built in. Okay, so maybe we were just trying to justify it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts