Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I was unaware of the drug testing for babies because i had no reason to know. However; I fell and hurt the knee i had surgery on and got some painkillers from my sister so i could work my last week of work. Then i told my obgyn about what happened and he said he would be testing the baby i'm guessing the meconium, and if it is in the babies system he will get taken away. I'm 36 weeks pregnant there time is running out! What should/can i do. Honest mistake is ruining my life. Need advice</p>

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Go to your doctor and get your own prescription. It is never a good idea to take a prescription drug that is not prescribed to you. How do you know that the one you are taking is safe during pregnancy? Stop taking whatever it was you got from your sister. It might leave your system before the baby is born.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like the OP said, get a doctor to write you a script, then you will not have any worries.<br><br>
BUT, as long as you make it to 38 weeks it will be out of your system totally anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. it only stays in 5-7 days, but after 2 weeks there's no chance it will still be there. They usually test you, I didn't know theyntested the baby unless you test positive. Unless you are premature, it will be fine. really. sit<br><br>
Get a script though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
And painkillers, the ones that could get you in trouble (opiates) are not dangerous for the baby if you are not abusing them. if they are other painkillers, don't worry at all, they only test for opiates like vicodin and oxycontins.

·
Registered
532 Posts
<p>Never take ANY drug while pregnant without talking to your doctor!</p>

·
Registered
846 Posts
<p>But an article I read on the internet said that drugs are in the baby's meconium for several months. That is the fear OP is having.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Perhaps if there is less than a certain amount in the baby's meconium, it will not be considered harmful enough for them to take action.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Could you call the dr who did your surgery and ask advice? (You know him better than I do; trust your "gut".)</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts