Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we STINK at naming boys and struggle with it a lot. My second wasn't named until 9.5 days after birth and I still don't love his name. I have Wesley Scott and Calvin James. I really, really don't feel like thinking of another boy's name, but forced myself to start looking last night since I know this will be a long process.

I like surnames as first names, and like nickname potential. I LOVE the name Holden, but it doesn't have good nickname potential for me. I like more mainstream middle names in case the kids want to use those. I won't choose something in the top 100 of the Social security list if I can avoid it. I love when people hear the name, recognise it, but don't know many others with that name. And I seem to have this pattern of 6 letter first name, 5 letter middle name and am irrationally concerned that if this child doesn't follow it'll somehow figure it out and feel left out, even though it wasn't intentional. I really want all the kids' names to "match" sort of - at least go together and sound like they belong in the same family.

I'm considering "Lewis". I know that's a different spelling than one may expect, but it's my grandmother's maiden name. Thoughts on spelling? I'm not really sold on the nickname "Lew" though I think. Seriously, be brutal. Spencer and Fletcher were on my short-short list for Calvin and I don't think they "work" for me anymore.

· Registered
430 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Calvin and I'm so-so on Wesley. I do like Spencer and Fletcher a lot more. I also LOVE Holden. For nicknames, there's Denny. Or if you spell it Holdon (not sure if I like it as much though), you can use Don or Donnie as a nickname. Lewis is nice but I think that Lew is just an awful nickname.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
i like Holden and would consider it because i love JD Salinger but it's on the top of a friends list and she is due before me.

i also like Spencer. I knew a Spencer and i always thought it was a cool name,

i think you are putting too much emphasis on the matching, the kids aren't going to care about the number of letters matching in their names. they will care if their siblings have neat unique names and they are named John, haha. but clearly you are like me, and wouldn't do that.

Also i always think of nicknames too, but in reality even if something doesn't have a nickname, your child will either use their real name or come up with something completely unique to them at some point in life.

that's my opinion at least

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly it's really, really rare that we call the boys by their given names. They each have 5-6 nicknames they answer to instead, so I don't know why I stress so much about this.

Here's our list from Calvin - the "long" short list. They were ones I don't "hate" and most didn't even follow my "rules". I MAY use Joseph if it's a boy even though DH's sister used it (she knew we are using Josephine for a girl no matter what, even before she got pregnant, and that I was considering Joseph for a boy if we never had a girl - the name is in honor of the woman who raised me. they'll have different last names and we rarely see them.).

Oscar
Spencer
Paul
Holden
Emmett
Grant
Harrison
Owen
Rowan
Fletcher
Cole
Oliver
Cooper
Graham
Henry
Bennett
Benjamin
Nolan
Lewis
Clayton
Greyson
Colton
Landon

· Registered
272 Posts
I like Henry, Lewis and Benjamin. I also like Lew as a nickname.

We are trying to figure out a middle name for George. So far some contenders are (and I am totally open for some suggestions since we have really struggled with this);
Eslin (named after e.e. cummings middle name)
Ptolemy (Greek astronomer and scientist, pronounced Tall-a-me)
Mogollon (local town, really cool place pronounced Mo-gee-yawn)
Katse (native american name similar to mine)

I am not to worried about pronunciation problems since it is just a middle name. Really it is more symbolic than anything. I just want to know which you think sounds best with George.

· Registered
765 Posts
Beanjepin: Off your list, I LOVE Holden, Rowan and Oliver. Rowan and Oliver were on my list for a boy. We settled on Joseph 'cuz dh hated my other choices
Oliver sounds cool as "Ollie" and Rowan is alright as "Row". But I agree about Holden - not much you can do there in the way of a "for short" name. "Hol" just sounds wrong! (Unless you pronounce it like Hall)

Rockdoctor: Off yours, I like Eslin and Katse best. But it kinda depends on the "flow" with your surname.

· Registered
621 Posts
I like Holden too, but it immediately blends in with all the other super-trendy -den mames for me. Aidan, Jayden, Brayden, etc.

I don't like Lewis that much but I actually agree with you on the spelling, the name Louis always throws me off because I don't know if it's Lew-is, Lou-ee, Lou-eese, etc. Lewis clears the whole pronuniciation thing up.

My favorite name off your list is Fletcher. I also really, really like Graham and Rowan.

· Registered
154 Posts
We have a lot of the same names on our list. Actually, I should say *my* list as my DH doesn't like the same style as I do. I love Grant, Owen (but not any good nicknames), Oliver (one of my favs but DH doesn't like), Bennett, Nolan, Landon. I'm not as fond of Holden similar to BeanSproutMama, it sounds a lot like the Aiden/Jayden names plus I'm not fond of the nicknames.

Names are hard! My DH won't even discuss anymore until we find out if it is a boy or girl and it is driving me crazy!

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I love Holden.. it was on my list for my son's pregnancy too! Some names don't need to be shortened. Not a fan of Lew.. Lewis is sweet, but you KNOW people would call him Lew!

· Registered
1,164 Posts
I sympathize. Boys names are harder.

I like Holden a lot, but neither of us are thrilled with the book connotation, so we shelved it. If you have no issues with that, I'd say go for it. I do really like that name.

· Registered
136 Posts
Okay, I really like Calvin (I might add that too our boy list as it is rather spare) - though I do think of Calvin and Hobbes, but that's a fun plus in my book

We like Oliver, but don't like the current popularity of it right now. But we have a Rolland (rahl-end) so that way we would have Rolly (rahl-ee) and Ollie - haven't decided whether that's too cutesy for me or not.

Wesley makes me think of the Princess Bride (again not a bad thing in my book), though I know it's actually Westley.

· Registered
1,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdoctor View Post
I like Henry, Lewis and Benjamin. I also like Lew as a nickname.

We are trying to figure out a middle name for George. So far some contenders are (and I am totally open for some suggestions since we have really struggled with this);
Eslin (named after e.e. cummings middle name)
Ptolemy (Greek astronomer and scientist, pronounced Tall-a-me)
Mogollon (local town, really cool place pronounced Mo-gee-yawn)
Katse (native american name similar to mine)

I am not to worried about pronunciation problems since it is just a middle name. Really it is more symbolic than anything. I just want to know which you think sounds best with George.
I like Eslin and Katse best with George.

And Beanjeepin--from your list I like Holden and Henry best.

· Registered
9,101 Posts
I have a cousin, Louis, who goes by Lou or Louie or Louis, depending on who's talking. He's 16 now, he was named after my grandfather (my uncles dad).

So, if you like Lewis, that's great.

· Registered
1,678 Posts
I had a dream last night and a name for your boy just popped into my head!

Mitchell. Mitch for short - I think it fits really perfectly with your other boys too. I have NO idea why I was thinking of this, but there you have it! Leave it to pregnancy, right?

· Registered
359 Posts
I love Holden, I like Lewis as spelled rather than Louis. What about Holden Lewis? It fits your six five pattern, he could go by Lewis if he felt like it later, and it goes well with your other boys' names.

I don't know about a nickname, but we never call our daughter a shortened version of her name, it is either the whole thing or a nickname that bears no relation to her name (like Goose, which I may actually use more than her real name!)
Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.