Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little bit of help. I've been having really REALLY big problems picking a name for baby, I'm all for meeting them before you name them, BUT I wanted to have a couple picked out and then see how I felt with them after she was born..... For some reason I like the idea of a name starting with the letter A (Or maybe E or I). And I was looking through some random internet site last night and looked up all names that contained "sea" in the meaning. And Arwyn was one of them, I loved it strait away... Besides the fact its actually a boys name (Which isn't such a big deal), it means "Friend of the sea" which is nice. There would be a million and one ways I could spell it, but the point of ALL of the long story IS it may sound too "Lord of the Rings" you know with the Elf Arwen...?

Do I spend the rest of my life (And hers) getting Lord of the Rings memorabilia because people think I was THAT crazy in love with the stories to name my child after one of the characters??

(I mean I liked them, but they had no influence in the choosing of the name).

Do I want her to spend the rest of her life being assosiated with the whole thing??

But I think its a beautiful name so I don't know... Honest opinions.... What do you think??? (I haven't even gotten to thinking about middle names...!! I'm just trying to get past choosing a first name!!!!!)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I really like Arwyn! I've never seen any of the LOTR movies, so I wouldn't have made that connection. I say if you love a name use it!!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I
love
the name.....

I love it in the movie too...and thought that it would be a great name for a future dd
:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I really like the name, but if you are looking for something unique, I think there will be a lot of Arwen/Arwyn variations in babies born now because of the LOTR thing.

I always think of this. My mom named me Jennifer b/c in 1976 there were not a lot of Jennifers. I have always had at least 2 other Jennifers in school classes. Lots of people named their daughters Jennifer in the late 70's. I think it might be the same with Arwen/Arwyn during this time.

Just something to consider.

Peace

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSwildflower
I really like the name, but if you are looking for something unique, I think there will be a lot of Arwen/Arwyn variations in babies born now because of the LOTR thing.

I always think of this. My mom named me Jennifer b/c in 1976 there were not a lot of Jennifers. I have always had at least 2 other Jennifers in school classes. Lots of people named their daughters Jennifer in the late 70's. I think it might be the same with Arwen/Arwyn during this time.

Peace

That is true. I am having this problem myself. When I was young, there were NO Mackenzie's ! Not a single one that I personally knew. Then my mom had one enroll in her daycare and we were all shocked (we were shocked even further when we found out that she had the same middle name as me too, Shea which is not that common either....but that is neither here nor there) and now it is one of the 100 (in the middle somewhere at that!!) most common names. And I have to be quite frank that I am a little bitter about the whole thing too.....no offense to parents of Mackenzie's out there but when you grow up with a very unique name, you kinda start to feel some ownership of it I think.

That is one of the things that helped me choose my children's name. My daughter, I am fairly damn certain, will never have a Xitlaly in her class. Damiyan (dahm-yahn) gets called Damian (like the stupid movie) a lot but it is still pretty uncommon and Macario is not all that unique in Latin countries (though not "popular" by any means) but here it is and it is a pretty safe bet that he won't encounter too many of those in his life. I like that myself. Some people it is not that important to.

It has been long enough since the release of the last LOTR movie that I bet you could look up the popularity of the name though, if that bothers you.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I think the name is lovely, but there's no way you're going to avoid the LOTR link - nor is it going to be unique, as the previous poster pointed out. I have seen at least five babies named that (with various 'hip' spellings) in the last six months.

However, if you really feel like this is what this baby is named, name her that!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mmm thats what I suspected.... I went onto a search engine and searched the name Arwyn, and Arwen, it said they were both "unique" but I suspect it'll be like with my name, it was unique but then when you get older you meet a bundle of people with your "unique" name.

I had the same thing with my name, growing up there was no-one with my name. Until I hit about 10, then they all started appearing, and funnily enough my best friend has the same name as me....! Although hers is spelt differently (I'm yet to meet someone with the same spelling as me)

My other maybe is Tyler (Although thinking I would spell it Thailer) but thats cos I like the name "Thai". So confusing!!!
:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I've not seen/read LOTR stuff so that wouldn't be an issue for me. I really like the name, but it is a boys name. When I hear the name I don't think girl, I think boy. It would be like naming a boy Jennifer. That's just how I see it

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but if we name our boy (if we have a boy) Ashton Parker both of those names are from characters in movies/comics that DH loves.

Ash is the main character of Evil Dead and Parker is one of my favorite names but it is also the name of Spider Man (Peter Parker). DH is very into comics and is actually working on his own right now. I really like the name Ash because my dad is a firefighter and it's sort of a nod to him also

So, obviously I don't think there's anything with using a name from a popular character (although Evil Dead isn't nearly as popular as LOTR
)

·
Registered
386 Posts
You know, I really think you should name the child what you feel her name is!! I named my first Eden..I figured it was pretty unique, had never met or heard of it as a name before. Here in our rural homeschooling community there is another Eden...actually 2 because there's a toddler named Eden aswell!! But she IS Eden...its WHO she is. My next daughter is Willow, which is a semi-common name, even could be associated with the movie Willow...a little man named willow.....but you know what, its her.....Our son is Alden...wise gaurdian...and he is.

Our next baby will be Noah Pheonix Inshallah if it a boy, both Noah and Pheonix are common names, or Nava Rose Inshallah if its a girl... I feel like they were choosen by our baby. Remeber there is more to a name then the trend of it. Names have meaning, there is power within the meaning of a word/name. That is always my question when nameing a child. Does this name's meanign mesh with who I feel in my soul that this child is??

I think that is the question you should ask yourself. You know your baby better then anyone, how does it feel??

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
When picking my boys names I went looking for how popluar they were...I check the SSA site ...heres what I found for Arwyn,

Arwyn is not in the top 1000 names for any year of birth in the last 15 years.

Personally I love the name! One of my Goddaughters names is Eowyn..she is 11 now, so got to see all the LOTR popularity and ppl FINALLY knew where her name came from..lol

good luck!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSwildflower

Peace
: i could've written that myself!!!
i'm also trying to find a name that's more unique so that my son will feel he has his own identity in his name ... but then i'm afraid if its toooo unique will he be upset at me eventually for that too? i wondered about that with raven, cuz after i chose it about half way through preg i realized how popular that raven show is on one of the kids networks and she's a girl of course (also not a fan of the show) but with raven it was so much easier cuz that was just his name no doubt about it!!! not so with this lil guy
i've been contemplating the name felix for a while teamed up with the name desmond (either order) but now i kinda like the name emmett too but dont have a name to go with it ....
anyway, i do like the name you chose but maybe if you're SUPER concerned about it, then maybe not ... you wanna be comfortable with it. and i'm sure it will be easier when you see her lil face
:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Personally, I like it! Even with the movies being so popular, I would bet there is still a large chunk of the population that is not into LOTR and won't associate it with that. Sure, the die-hard fans might roll their eyes or think you named her after the elf, but who cares, if you like it, go for it. Especially if it just feels right. We decided on this baby's name really early on, because we came across it and both dh & I immediately said, yep, that's it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I named my daughter Arwen. I fell for it very early on in my pregnancy. We have not received one piece of LOTR memoribilia yet! I get lots of positive responses to it. Most people don't immediately make the connection. I tend to tell them it is a Welsh name meaning muse.

(have to run, she's messing with stuff...feel free to ask me more ???s)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggerwocky
Is Arwyn a legitimate spelling? I'm confused...
'Arwyn' is the spelling of the name I found, but it's actually the boys version. "Arwen" is the name of the elf in LOTR. So while being spelt differently they sound the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amaliaday
I tend to tell them it is a Welsh name meaning muse.
Is that true? Thats a great meaning..! Cos the boys one I found 'Arwyn' means friend of the sea, but its spelt differently to your "Arwen"...

Why is choosing a name so difficult
:

I'm loving all the feedback, thanks
It helps to have people to give their opinions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.