Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious. My daughter is 13 months old. I'd like to give her some honey but I want to wait until it's safe. I know about honey and botulism. But I'm confused for I've read conflicting things. Some doctors say don't give honey to a child under a year. Others say don't give honey to a child under 2 years.

When did you give your child honey?

·
Banned
972 Posts
Wow. I'm worried about the same thing myself. Personally, whenever I finally do decide to give her honey, I'm going to buy a brand new bottle for the house. I'm not quite sure the present bottle we have isn't loder than she is! LOL! But still-- I'd like to hear some answers on this, as the word honey has come up several times, and I'd like to at least be able to teach her what it is.

Faith

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Ds just turned one and he's had thing with honey in it since 11 months or so. I mean like wild cherry bark medicine and elderberry syrup. No reaction.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have always heard that you shouldn't give straight honey to a child under 2, but that it doesn't matter in things like cookies or other baked goods. I didn't give DD anything (even the cookies, etc) with honey until she was a year old. She is 21 months old now and I just mixed a little honey into her oatmeal a few days ago. I didn't remember the "rule" until after she had already eaten it. So far, so good.

Honey doesn't last very long around here, though. We use a "bear" of it every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.
(We only use sugar for cooking/baking.) So I'm not too worried about the botulism aspect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.