Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sil came to me ('cause apparently I'm pretty knowledgeable?) asking about local honey. Does local honey help someone with hayfever/local pollens? She just moved to MD from MA and seasonal allergies are pretty uncomfortable for her apparently.
I told her it sounds reasonable and if it didn't help her allergies, it helped a local business, and it seems safer then something OTC. Any thoughts? If it does, are there any studies done? TIA

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've heard the same thing and try to get local, raw honey for that reason (my seasonal allergies can get pretty bad). It makes sense, as the bees get their pollen from local flowers, etc.
However I don't know of any studies, or if you would have to eat a lot of the honey to make a difference (and that would be a lot of sugar!)

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I did read a study a couple years ago. It's sort of the allegy shot effect, if you take a little each day, you're building up an immunity to it. It was a pediatrician who did the study, I believe. It was written about in the newspaper, but I can't remember which newspaper or when. Sorry.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My environmental allergies are particularly bad, as were my food allergies(they're getting better!).

I was taking honey on a daily basis for a few years in trying to control my allergies. It really didn't seem to help me. In fact, when I went to my conventional allergist a year ago and got all my testing done and found out the extent of my allergens, the allergist recommended I go off of the honey since it was just one more thing that was aggravating my allergies and to give my body a break!

I miss my honey...but hope to be able to have it regularly again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.