Mothering Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share my experience from my DS's check up this week. He's 15 months. Even with the huge vaccine battle that is going on right now it is possible to find a pediatrician that will support you. You just have to do your research. Talk to other like minded parents, talk to your midwife/chiro/naturopath and find out who they recommend. And lastly, interview them. Most of my mom friends didn't know they could interview doctors. Appointments don't have to be a battle and I just wanted to give new mamas out there a little hope.

A summary of how our vaccine conversation went:

Dr- I know you said that you didn't want to talk about any vaccines for a few years, but I wanted to give you my recommendation. The only one I would think about is tetanus.
At this time, your options are the Dtap, which contains pertussis. You can get the DT which contains a little bit of mercury, or you can get just the T, but I wouldn't recommend that for children under 7. Those are your options right now.

Me- Those are pretty bad options.

Dr- Yes. I don't know why they can't make a clean vaccine.

Me- To be completely honest, with our family history of neurological problems, I don't think there are any vaccines that I will be doing.

Dr- Okay

She went on to talk about wound care, how to get the tIG, how we can talk about it again if they get into riskier activities when they are teens. That's it. It's so nice having a doctor that will collaborate with me, listen to me, and acknowledge that vaccines have some nasty ingredients with nasty side effects (possible demyelination risk and family history of neurological problems).

I don't live in Cali, so I don't know how I navigate that system...actually I do. I would move. But I wanted to let pregnant or new moms out there know that there are professionals that are on your side and will listen. Don't give up until you find someone that you trust to look out for your family.

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
Good for you.

I found one too, 36 yrs ago.

They are out there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just realized that when I walk into her office I see decorations and artwork. No billboards, ads, no promotional pens, or clipboards from drug companies. She wrote down notes on a regular piece of paper, not a sticky note with this month's wonder drug as the letterhead. Interesting.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
You can get T by itself?

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
No.

I believe that I read that there may be a version in foreign nations, but what American doctor will order it and wait for it?

Reactions: Xerxella

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get T by itself, but I don't believe that most docs keep it on hand. One of my girlfriends does very, very limited vaccinating, but tetanus was a big concern for her. She was able to order just the T from her naturopathic family doctor. It may be a relatively recent change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm... I'm not finding any information on the T being separate. My naturopathic ped did offer it as an option for older children, so it must be out there. I wonder why they are so adamant about it being grouped with (at the least) diphtheria. ?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I took my new baby in for her first well visits and our provider didn't even ask me if I wanted them this time. She didn't say a word about it. I was so surprised and pleased.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took my new baby in for her first well visits and our provider didn't even ask me if I wanted them this time. She didn't say a word about it. I was so surprised and pleased.
That's so great! At our appointment she spent an hour actually examining him, asking about his activities, eating habits, new developments, etc. I didn't feel like I needed to be on guard for a sales pitch. So nice. I'm glad there are other people that have had similar experiences.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Glad to hear that you found a doc that does not try to coerce you into whatever big pharma dictates to them.

On the singel tetanus vaccine: in Germany you can get it as Tetanol pur and every pharmacy has to have one in stock as it is listed as emergency medication. Same goes for TIG.

·
Registered
880 Posts
No.

I believe that I read that there may be a version in foreign nations, but what American doctor will order it and wait for it?
My doctor assures me that they can't get either TIG or t as a single. Now, for all I know this has to do with what their own insurance will pay for, or what the delivery guy has on the truck.

It seems stupid to me, but so many things do.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
S/he is wrong about the TiG. It is an immunoglobulin not a vaccine. It is not mixed with anything else ever as far as I am aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
If that's to me, yes, I know it's different, but he says they couldn't get it for the practice.

Oh, I see. Sorry, I thought you meant he was saying you couldn't get TiG not mixed with something else.

In Australia it's a matter of protecting scarce blood products. We don't usually even keep it in ED. We request it from blood bank if we actually need it and we have to and them the individual patient's details.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My ped let me know that if I had the need to get the TIG, I would have to go to a hospital in our nearest big city. She said as far as she knew two of the bigger hospitals carry it. I would definitely call them ahead of time before I made the drive in. I wonder why it's not kept on hand at more emergency rooms if it's the most effective treatment?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I wonder why it's not kept on hand at more emergency rooms if it's the most effective treatment?

Because it's a blood product and therefore in limited supply. The blood banks keep it so they can ensure the cold chain, rotate stock so they don't lose any going out of date and do they can ensure that its only given when needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts