Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has a son from a previous marriage. For the last few months he has tried to get a hold of him because of a lack of talking and visiting and what not (we live in Idaho and they in Oregon). Yesterday he received papers filing for adoption on his step-dad's side (his ex-wifes new husband). He plans on contesting due to various reasons. Her claim is that he doesn't attempt to be a father. She has cut off all communication (we have had no numbers for her or addresses so we had to call her mom who denied having any children multiple times until dh called her on it) and made it impossible to find him. She has gone out of her way to cut dh out of dss's life and is now asking he sign over his rights. My question is where do we go from here? We are working on getting a lawyer but neither of us has been in this situation before and have no idea what to expect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have to act fast, our deadline in the 25th. TIA!

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I have no experience with a situation like this. But you definitely need to contact a lawyer ASAP. He/she will be able to advise you of the best way to proceed, not only to contest the adoption, but also to help set up a visitation schedule.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
If you go to "Finding your Tribe" there is a stepfamilies/blended families group here that might have advice. We've all been through lots of custody craziness, though I haven't been in your particular situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.