Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we're not EC'ers. I didn't find out about EC until DS ws 6 months, we tried it briefly when he was 8 months, but just couldn't get it to work out. The reason I'm here today is to maybe get some insight or advice about my DS who is 22 months now.

Basically, he's been very interested in the potty since about 14 months. He knows that's where you pee and poop. He can take off his pants and diaper and climb on and off the big potty and flush. The problem is, he can't "let go" in the potty. He wants to use the potty and I just feel terrible that he's "diaper trained". I feel like if I'd just stuck with EC, even part-time, he could be using the potty mostly on his own by now.

So I know it's mostly a mental thing and he'll figure it out eventually, but is there anything I can do to help him out? So far, I've tried making a "pssss" sound when he watches me go, the when he sits on the potty, I make it again. It hasn't helped. As soon as he gets his diaper on, he goes in that, then takes it off and hands it to me.

I'm very relaxed about the potty. I'm totally following his cues. I really not concerned about when he potty-learns, he just seems so ready NOW, except for that. And he SO prefers to wear underwear instead of diapers. I just want my little guy to be happy and comfortable.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Try the bathtub? Try reading him a story while he's on the potty, to distract him and help him relax that way? Have him sit on the potty in his diaper for awhile and then sit with the diaper open and gradually go that way?

He's 22 months, can he tell you anything about how he's feeling?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Try the bathtub? Try reading him a story while he's on the potty, to distract him and help him relax that way? Have him sit on the potty in his diaper for awhile and then sit with the diaper open and gradually go that way?

He's 22 months, can he tell you anything about how he's feeling?
Well, he pees in the tub all the time when we bathe.
Do you mean let him pee in there when there's no water? He can climb in and out of the tub on his own. I'd have no problem letting him pee in there if it eased the transition to the potty.

We read a lot on the potty. Sometimes, when I know he needs to poop, we go to the potty together and I read to him, otherwise he won't sit still long enough to get the job done. Even that is pretty rare though. He doesn't seem to have any desire to poop in the potty and we're having more success with that than peeing. Kind of ironic.

He often sits on the potty with a diaper or underwear on (he has no problem peeing in those either) but I've never seen him go then either.

He has plenty of words and signs but doesn't communicate very well yet. No talk of "feelings" yet. He hands me a wet diaper to tell me he's peed and he signs potty when he sees one or when he sits on one (he's seems very proud to sit on them and wants to let everyone know it's a potty
). The only way I know he's about to poop is I can hear him giggle over seemingly nothing, but he's actually giggling because he's farting.
If he pees on the floor, he says uh-oh, signs potty, sits on the potty for a minute, then gets a prefold to clean up (if I haven't already).

Would it help to take him to the potty regularly throughout the day? I just feel if he can go in the potty just a few times, it'll "click" and maybe he'll learn how to let go more easily. Right now, the poor kid just sits there and looks down at his penis and pokes it once in a while just waiting for it to do something. It's just not happening for him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts