Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm usually not the most informed person on this board, so this may have already been discussed, but there is an article that was on salon.com that had some negative things to say about Horizon Organic Milk and its products, including the fact that they have overcrowded conditions and still feed their cows grain and protein. The link is http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20.../index_np.html.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Wow thanks for posting that...I had no idea. We usually buy raw milk but if I ever run out of that I usualy buy Horizon at the store, no more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does this mean that the Horizon milk is not good either? Forgive my ignorance--I;m new to all of this "healthy" stuff
What should we buy instead? I was already dreading going to buy more milk--because it's almost $4 1/2 gallon, what is it I should buy, if not Horizon Organic milk??

Thanks so much!!
angi

·
Registered
866 Posts
What kind of protein are you talking about? I tried to access the article the first time this came up, but for some reason couldn't get it. From that discussion, I thought that the problems centered around the "factory" farm atmosphere that was (at the very least) becoming Horizon. If there is a problem with the true organic nature of the milk--which means that the cows are fed nothing but organic feed or are fed only on organically raised grass--I would really like to know that.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Angi - The healthiest milk to buy is raw organic. This takes some work to find, but you can google "raw milk" and go from there. We bought organic raw milk in Texas for $4/gallon and are paying $5/gallon in Oregon.

Also, Mercola.com seems to be down at the moment. Go there and type in "raw milk" in the search engine. You'll find some good info. there too.

hth!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you for the info
We have never had raw milk before-- I guess it doesnt sound safe to drink "raw" milk! I will have to research it--i have a lot to learn
I was paying $5/ gallon for organic milk at wild oats, but closer to home the horizon brand is either $2.96, or $3.69 depending on where I am shopping!!! That is getting quite pricey!!

Anyway,
Thank you for the info on the raw milk--I will definitely check it out!!
Angi

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
raw milk link
www.realmilk.com

If you are going to consume cow's dairy raw is best. I was on an anti-dairy campaign for a few years. I still have trouble with even accepting raw cow milk as a suitable milk.

There are other organic milks on the mass market, they are all pasturized if they are sold in a grocery store. Some farmers markets might have raw milk for sale, but doubtful they would come out and tell you that. Health food stores may have pasteruized but not homogenized which would be my pick if I had a choice.

We get raw milk through a cow boarding program at a local farm.

There is always rice milk, almond milk, oat milk, grain milk, coconut milk, etc I like rice milk personally. Goat was a bit much for me, but some people love it. And by all means avoid soy, the plant estogens in soy make it very unsuitable for children and men, it can also really do a number on a woman's natural balance (based on moderate consumption)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cajunmomma, I'm sort of a newbie myself, but I think the problem with mass-produced dairy is that they feed cows a frankenstein mix of nutrients rather than whole foods; e.g. they use plastic pellets in lieu of the fiber cows should be getting from grass, and they use protein pellets made from other animals including cows! So, at least when I hear organic, I feel like I'm getting milk from grass-fed cows or at least grain. But it sounds like Horizon is trying to cut costs by crowding the cows and by trying to make what they eat more "efficient". I'm not sure about what goes into the USDA organic stamp, but they must be doing things so that they can officially get that stamp, but are not really doing things in the spirit of organic farming.

·
Registered
866 Posts
See, I don't see "organic" as necessarily implying "grass fed". It would mean to me, though, that anything that the cow ate would have to be organically grown. And it would certainly mean no animal protein. That sort of information would make me pause before using Horizon again.

In terms of raw milk, where I live it's against the law to sell raw milk commercially. I guess you could buy it from someone "under the counter" or raise the cow yourself. And I'm pretty sure that it's the law, because I have some friends who had a surplus of milk from there cow and were told that it would be illegal here to sell it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts