Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've used any of those three programs, can you tell me what you like/ dislike about it? We're looking for next school year, for curriculum for our third dd (she wants it, not my idea) and for supplements for our 2 oldest with our virtual academy.

· Registered
768 Posts
i like horizons it's really good stuff imo. If you are interested in teaching some of the stuff they learn in pubic school settings it works really well.
nak

· Registered
765 Posts
Horizons PreK is a very nice and full curriculum....meaning that it has a lot of fun, different activities to offer. It gives you plenty of stuff to do project-wise, worksheet-wise, activity-wise. I definitely recommend it.

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like I had the right thinking so far then with these programs to add to our va teaching. I was leaning toward doing their health 1 with my oldest two next year for 1st and 2nd grades, I looked at the samples for K, 1, and 2 all and felt it was the best fit for what I wanted to do with them in that subject. I feel really bad because this year I tried to do my own thing for health since ohva doesn't provide health but they require we teach it, and we just didn't get anywhere really (well we did a lot of "life-schooling" with it as we had bumps and bruises and talked about healthy food choices and such but we didn't get anywhere near what I wanted to get done this year)

And I really hope my 4yo enjoys their prek, she's been begging for more seatwork like her big sisters do and the coloring pages and crafts I've been coming up with just aren't cutting it for her. She literally wants something from a workbook, and I need the structure of a guided program to ensure that I actually DO something with my kids. Sad isn't it?

· Registered
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
And I really hope my 4yo enjoys their prek, she's been begging for more seatwork like her big sisters do and the coloring pages and crafts I've been coming up with just aren't cutting it for her. She literally wants something from a workbook, and I need the structure of a guided program to ensure that I actually DO something with my kids. Sad isn't it?
Even though there is math included in the PreK package, another good source is Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten. Book A is more a PreK level and Book B is more of a K level.

I have a die-hard workbook lover in my home too!

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done singapore Earlybird math with my oldest and didn't care for it too much. But we did the older edition 4 workbook set, maybe the 2 workbook one would be a bit better?

Now the question is, do I wait for their big curriculum sale they always do or do I order NOW with the free shipping code they sent me this morning because I loaded my cart yesterday to see what it would cost (too lazy to do the math lol) and then just left it like that? I can't decide which is the better deal right now......................

· Registered
43 Posts
I am using the the Horizons preschool with my 5 year old son. We started last August with it and my son and I love it! It definitley has a lot of ideas and suggestions for activities and reading for you to do with your child. My son also is a workbook lover and he loves the worksheet pages and craft pages that they have in the preschool curriculum.

Kristy
Mom to Rebecca (15) and David (5)

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went ahead and ordered Horizons Health K on the 8th and it arrived yesterday (the 13th) I'm still going through the guide completely, to get a good idea on how to get started tomorrow morning with the health program. I wrote a fairly detailed first impression review on MY BLOG if you want to see what I think so far of it. I'm really looking forward to adding health consistently to our daily lessons with a program that appears to be a good fit for me. I plan to write a few more times on my blog about how the program is working for us, and what I think about the program in general. Now if only the husband would get the kids to bed (an hour past bedtime!) and take his tv watching into our bedroom so that I can sit here and FOCUS on preparing for tomorrow's start of our health lessons (I plan do do lessons daily until we finish the program since we're starting halfway through the year, next year we'll do 2 days a week)

· Registered
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
I went ahead and ordered Horizons Health K on the 8th and it arrived yesterday (the 13th) I'm still going through the guide completely, to get a good idea on how to get started tomorrow morning with the health program. I wrote a fairly detailed first impression review on MY BLOG if you want to see what I think so far of it. I'm really looking forward to adding health consistently to our daily lessons with a program that appears to be a good fit for me. I plan to write a few more times on my blog about how the program is working for us, and what I think about the program in general. Now if only the husband would get the kids to bed (an hour past bedtime!) and take his tv watching into our bedroom so that I can sit here and FOCUS on preparing for tomorrow's start of our health lessons (I plan do do lessons daily until we finish the program since we're starting halfway through the year, next year we'll do 2 days a week)
Thank you for the detailed review. I am still deciding between Horizons and Rod & Staff for health.

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post
Thank you for the detailed review. I am still deciding between Horizons and Rod & Staff for health.
Over the next couple weeks I'll be reviewing the program as we use it, if you want to stay tuned to my blog LOL (honest I'm not trying to get more traffic, I just to be sure others have a chance to see what I think of the programs that I try if they wish to see them in action)

Today we are going to start, and from looking at the guide I'm thinking we'll be doing the first two lessons of unit 1 today instead of doing one lesson a day. I'm still not too sure how it will work for us, the K level is definitely lower than my 1st grader's level, but I feel like it is a good choice for us right now given the grades I'm teaching. I'm just REALLY happy that I chose to spend the $5 that I was charged to get the glue binding cut off and the entire teacher's guide spiral bound. Glue binding is my number one peeve, it just does NOT work well with me as a lefty teaching kids who likes to make a bunch of notes in the margins (I also wish the margins were a bit bigger but that is a gripe I can work around)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.