Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 month old just finished self weaning. He started very gradually at about 12 months. He was down to nursing just in the morning but that just ended about two weeks ago (snif snif)

Has anyone experienced major hormonal changes when they were completely weaned? First my headahces are worse and today I feel like I can't stop crying. i just feel simply horrible right now. I got my period back two monts ago and I am also mid cycle right now.

there just isn't a lot of info out there. Wondering if any of you have experienced this.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My son weaned just before he turned 3, and I went from feeling fine to being a hormonal wreck afterward. When I say hormonal wreck...I mean that literally. A complete endocrine meltdown!
:

I was exhausted, depressed, weepy, groggy, moody, weird cycles, without appetite....among other things. I had many things tested trying to figure it out. My thyroid went temporarily off among other things. All of this came on like the flicking of a switch after weaning. So...

It's possible to feel very very off! 8-9 months later and I'm just now balancing all out again. Crazy! I have no idea why my body reacted this way.
I have otherwise always been healthy and feelin' great!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, a few months ago both my DS & DD significantly reduced the amount of nursing simultaneously. I went through what I could best describe as similar to PPD or something. My migraines became almost daily, I was depressed, crying, hopeless, etc. (I can't speak to AF as it returned when DS was 5mos old, and again when DD was 7mos old ~ even though I was tandem nursing!
: )

Only in the last few weeks have things seemed to level out.

I'm not sure whether any doctor would correlate the decreased nursing to the "depression"; but IMHO they don't see a correlation between much these days!

I hope it gets better for you. Mine seems to have improved as DS is basically weaned (it's been a week!) and DD has settled into a new pattern.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts