Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week and a half ago I got this pain in my right leg. At first it wasn't bad but it's steadily getting worse. I'm going to try to explain where it is...

You know that part of your upper thigh, on the inside, that touches (unless you're ridiculously thin..and in that case, I hate you) your other thigh when standing up straight? Okay...the hollowish area directly above that on the inner thigh is where it hurts for me.

It's incredible how much it can hurt...freezes me in my tracks. It doesn't bother me when I'm walking or sitting. However, I can't roll over in bed, cough, sneeze, turn funny, get up from a lying position or sit with my legs open such as cross-legged. We thought it was a pulled muscle...my midwife thinks it might be a pinched nerve.

I have an appointment with a chiropractor next week for a pelvic adjustment and I'm hoping she can help with that too. However, until then, I need help getting my 38 week belly out of bed.

Has anyone else gone through this? What have you done to help?

I'm taking hot baths at night now in hopes to keep things loose and from stiffening too much. Anything else?

Thanks!
Emily

· Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain I hope you find a way to make it better. I have no clue what it would b. I am havin pain on the bottom (sole) of my right foot. It started like a week ago. There are days I can not walk at all i have to limp or not walk it hurts so bad....my dr thinks it is from belly gettin so big and weight bein distributed on it so much. I just no it is painful....

Good luck

· Registered
301 Posts
Hi... It should help to get adjusted. In the meantime, heat is not the best thing for your back right now... It will swell the discs & make the pain worse. Please put ice on your spine. Just above the buttcrack is the best place for your particular issue. I have had the same pain, just when I am lifting a leg. It feels like the pubic bone (in front, where they measure you from) is pulling apart!! Not comfortable. It could be the way the baby is lying. It could be the pelvis opening up to make room for the baby to come down. It could be a subluxation. I hope the adjustment helps!!

· Registered
3,715 Posts
I got it- I have had unreal pelvic pain with this baby- and I found I had to get just the right pillows to make it better- not gone but liveable. I tried normal pillows, then tired a toss pillow then tired a toss with a very flast blanket pillow and that seemed to work- I think the key is to get your hips as even as you can. I cant go to a chiro so I am out of luck there- I am just hoping that the rest of the pregnancy goes fast! I am very happy that I have hit 37 weeks!! my safe zone for my MW was 36- but I feel much better hitting 37. Next week I am going to try to do lots of walking, try to move this baby down and get it over with! But I know they only come when they are ready!

· Registered
2,926 Posts
Hi -- I don't mean to scare you, but --

go get checked out for a blood clot. Immediately. Here's my story:

At 35 weeks during my last pregnancy, I began having pain where my left thigh meets my pelvis. The doc told me the baby was probably pressing on a nerve. The pain quickly spread into my thigh, and within days I could barely walk. I went to L&D four times during the next two weeks in a LOT of pain, they just kept telling me the same thing (baby on a nerve) and prescribed pain medication. They also suggested chiropractors and massage therapists.

I went to my primary care doc for a second opinion. She immediately asked if I had been checked for blood clots. I hadn't, and she sent me to the hospital in an ambulance so that I could be checked out ASAP. Turns out I had a HUGE blood clot that went from just underneath my heart all the way down my left leg into my calf. My OB/GYN would never have checked without the prompting from my primary care physician. And it undoubtedly would have killed me and possibly the baby during labor. I was admitted right away and had to spend the rest of my pregnancy (which was fortunately only one more week) in the hospital on massive doses of blood thinners. A temporary filter was placed inside me to catch clots should they break off during labor -- and 5 big pieces of the clot did (this is what would have definitely killed me had the blood clot gone unchecked).

My leg NEVER swelled, it never felt hot, the only symptom was my pain.

So the moral is:

INSIST on getting an ultrasound for a blood clot. Insist on it. It takes 15 minutes and they ultrasound your leg, it's completely painless and noninvasive. The midwife/docs may try to tell you no if your leg isn't swollen, but insist anyway. If they refuse, tell them to please note in your medical records that you requested and they refused. Then find some other doc and tell them about this, until someone checks you for blood clots. I don't mean to scare you, but if it is a clot this is a life or death situation and it needs to be diagnosed NOW. Pregnancy makes women more susceptible to blood clots they they would otherwise be.

Good luck, and again, I don't mean to be scary -- but better safe than sorry. I almost died with my situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.