Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to this whole website, actually, but I'm wondering if anyone on here is horsey. I've been around them my whole life and can't function without them (you think I'm kidding or overstating? ask my husband how I am without them.....
)

Anyhoo, I just took up three day eventing (or eventing, as most people call it-three day is kind of dated). I always wanted try it-but was a dedicated cowgirl-roping, reining, working cow horse, barrel racing, etc-and *love* it. I have a 10yo OTTB and a yearling AQHA/Hannoverian (yeah, I know its a weird cross, but I love the mare-had her since '94 and the stud was a horse I couldn't walk away from)

Anybody out there a would-be neck breaker like myself? I also have a one eyed red heeler/welcome mat mix by the name of KD (Killer Dog, and no, I didn't name him) that my hubby keeps threatening to turn into a rug. (No, not seriously. Mostly, anyway)

Just checking-

BTW-after reading the threads, I'm so glad that Cricket made it back home and didn't just get turned out. I love big dogs....Mastiffs, Danes, etc. (Itd be easier, actually, to list the breeds I don't care for than the ones I do, but hey, who cares about that!?)

Thanks!
Laurel

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
We don't do it anymore, but I grew up with horses and my sister has stayed very involved in many disciplines--dressage, breeding, polo, etc. The whole fam is animal-nuts; my cousin is working at Grand Prix level in dressage and hoping for the next Olympics. We had an OTTB too. I don't think AQHA and warmblood is at all a bad cross; WBs are big and hippy and I've seen plenty of AQHAs competing quite competently in lower-level eventing.

Lonng ago I helped fence-judge at the cross-country portion of an event that Christopher Reeve was entered in; just a few weeks later he was injured. That's as close as I get to horsey fame, though--we're hoping to eventually get a Fjord for the kids but that's years off yet, and I'm still happy with the house horses!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've always been into horses. Took riding lesson (English huntseat) but never owned my own horse. The closest I came is that my boyfriends family rents pasture to these people who keep horses there. There is one horse I'm in love with. He knows me to and its funny when he has been away from the house area when I get there and the next thing you hear is hoofbeats as he is galloping to come see me. I've told my boyfriend that I want that horse and I hope someday (when we have the money) to buy that horse. I don't know my breeds really well but a horsey friend says she believes he is a morgan or morgan cross. He is 3 or 4 years old and not broke. He will let me lead him, but not most other people. I know he will be a handful!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I am not horsey myself but am surrounded by horsey people....so I've had to adapt. I have friends that are big into eventing (the Ishoys if you follow the Canadian Olympic team) and another friend who barrel races and works as en equine massage therapist and owns a layup barn for track horses.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey there! I am very much a casual rider (a little dressage, little baby jumps, trail riding and no shows), but I board my horses at an eventing barn. It's always humbling to watch the 13 year old girls pilot a warmlood around the cross country course while my horse and I desperately fling ourselves over "fences" that are little more than crossrails. Ah well.

I have two horses, Aristotle, an Anglo-Arab gelding. He's a pretty good guy with consistant work, and I haven't been able to provide that lately. I think I may have found a girl to ride him on a regular basis, so that will be good, I think. I also have a draft cross yearling named Jamie. He was 15.1 on his first birthday, so he's gonna be a big 'un. He's a PMU colt, and of rather mixed lineage, but he's lovely and sweet.

Aristotle
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27...4_28Sep051.jpg

Jamie
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27...d/DSC00620.jpg

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
yup, born and bred cowgirl here
. I have a quarter horse mutt, that is 16 going on 4
. I think he has some morgan and something else in him. He looks like one of the old hackey horses. He has this great big body and legs, but is only 14.3. He is completly dark grey - absolutly no color on him at all. and I love the goofy thing. The girls have 24 year old buckskin AQHA gelding, that is about bombproof, unless I am on him behind some cows, then he loses about 10 years.

I grew up on and around ranches and live on a big one now, I have barrel raced, pole bended, goat tyed and untied, just about done it all. Now I mostly ride for fun, when we have time - which is not nearly often enough.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BDGirl-
Wow. 15.1 at a year? Hope you have a step ladder! I'm glad he has a nice personality-I'd way rather have a nice horse than a beautiful one that is hard to handle. (been there done that and it gets old. Quick)

Re the 13 y/o's-they bounce easier when they fall off-that's why they're so fearless!
:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts