Mothering Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll back packing my hospital bag at the beginning of June ("due" July 10).

My first babe, so I'm not sure on what is good and what is not. Obviously ever Mama is different, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts! Just wanted to get a head start in case I need to buy anything that I don't have on my list :)

Also: What did you ladies birth in? I can labor in a tub (if it's available) but can't birth in it. I know a lot of times come transition time, all modesty goes out the window and I might be naked anyway! But up until then, what did you ladies go for?

Here is what I have so far, and TIA for your thoughts and feedback!

Robe
Nighgown/Jammies (with easy access for nursing and short or no sleeves)
Slippers
Orange Juice
Honey (for blood sugar boosts)
Coconut Water
Magnesium powder
Bananas
Milk (I'm really attached to my raw milk, and my sister-in-law REALLY wanted it post birth)
Green Smoothie
Music
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Hair ties
Bobby Pins
Chap Stick
Shampoo
Body Soap
Cell Phone
Charger
Comfortable Clothes for Going Home

For DS
Going Home Outfit (and an extra)
Hat
Undershirts
Receiving Blanket
Paci
Diapers
Wipes

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
For clothing for myself, I have labored in a nursing tank. I think my third baby was the only baby I left my top on though! I am definitely a naked birther. I know that at some point in labor, I take of my bottoms because it's just too much work to pull them on and off. And now that I think of it, I should probably wear a nightgown this time, so everyone doesn't have to see my bare bottom...ha! I'll have to buy a nightgown though, as I don't own any. I'll probably wear the nursing tank under the nightgown and then take the nightgown off in transition. (I love transition, it cracks me up! And means the baby is so close!)

I don't think you'll need diapers or wipes for the baby, beyond whatever you may have in a diaper bag for the ride home.

I preferred wearing pants in the hospital, so I had pajama pants and tops, for while I was there too.

I'm probably not much help, but you got me thinking!

I have a couple weeks to prepare for my home visit.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I've always just taken some comfy pants and a tshirt, a couple pairs of undies, toiletries, a boppy, charger, one outfit for the baby. In my purse I always have Chapstick, a comb, hair ties, etc. I've never taken food but dh has had to go buy me chocolate, lol.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The only thing on your list of stuff for the baby that you'll actually need to bring is the going home outfit. The hospital will give you diapers and wipes and so on. Snag some hospital receiving blankets if you can, because they're the best.

Limit what clothes you bring, because anything that gets swept up by the hospital linen service is lost to you forever.

The ypside of that is that once a hospital johnnie is gross, you can take it off and forget about it. Johnnies are awesome for labor and maybe not so great otherwise.

I was always most comfy in pants when not giving birth, and I recommend top and bottom seperates for nursing. I get horribly tangled up in nightgowns.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I like to labor/birth in a stretchy, sleeveless nightshirt/nightgown or a stretchy tank with a stretchy cotton maternity skirt. It was one of the first purchases I always made in my pregnancies. :) I keep one for laboring/birthing and a fresh one to change into after birth because the one you wear in labor/birth will get gunked up by your fluids and baby's, for sure.

A girl after my own heart - packing FOOD! :lol I totally pack raw milk wherever I go. :lol I'd never eat the hospital food, so you're wise to think about what you'd want. Maybe have a cooler at the ready and ice packs in your freezer to keep things cool (milk, smoothie, etc.)
I eat A LOT immediately following birth - a ridiculous amount! My request is usually multiple plates of bacon and eggs. :D Lots of good fats and protein...

I don't know what kind of undies they'll provide at the hospital, but I always preferred wearing a pair of real undies with a real pad while traveling as opposed to the mesh and not-real pad. Once home, it doesn't matter so much to me but for some reason, I like my undergarments to feel secure when moving from one place to another.

Any herbs or salves you might want for your bottom after birth? Or some type of frozen pad? I'm not sure you could pull that off if you packed it before leaving home (if it would stay frozen...)

Baby book if you want baby's footprints stamped at birth when they're stamping his feet anyway... And it's fun to write in the book while baby sleeps next to you and things are still fresh in your mind. Nice to get your birth story written/typed while it's still super fresh in your mind too - you don't want to let the details get hazy! Write it down!

Your own comfy pillow because hospital ones usually suck. (Assuming you'll spend at least one night there...)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm a FTM but here's my list:

-Bathing suit top or sports bra or something for the tub (not sure about bottoms)
-Yoga pants and comfy shirt for me
-Cell phone charger
-Maybe a robe (I don't actually own one though)
-Nursing tank
-Some kind of food because the hospital has very little to offer a vegan (or I might get DH to order me takeout depending on how hungry I am...he works at the hospital and knows how to get food in!)

I'm not sure what supplies the hospital provides for baby. I'm going to ask on my tour next week. I'm in Canada so I don't think it's much (but on the flip side, my hospital stay is free!). So I'm not sure what I need to bring for diapers, etc. yet.

Also my hospital sends you home in about 24 hours if all goes well. So I'm not packing for a very long stay.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm packing:

A light bathrobe (I labored in it and just a nursing bra last time, its better than a hospital gown)

Nursing bras (shelf kind)

Nursing PJs and nightie

A towel
Waterproof flip-flops for the shower and shuffling around
Fluffy socks (in case of getting cold)
Mini bottles of shampoo/soap
Deoderant
Comfortable going home clothes

Couple of protein bars for labor

Hairties and hairbands to keep my hair out of my face in labor

Going home outfit for baby

That's it. They kept me 3 days last time and might this time too. So that's why I pack a bit more.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is a helpful thread. I don't normally sleep with pajamas in the warm weather but I guess I'll have to get a nightgown or something. I also just picture being naked in the birth tub and laboring in a sundress or nightgown until I get in the tub. I get hot when frustrated or expending effort, and although I've never done this before, I picture not being able to handle any cloth on my shoulders and arms in labor. But do most ladies enter the tub naked? I didn't think about a bathing suit but it's not a bad idea. I don't care about just being naked, though, unless no one else does that. I will bring makeup and a hairdryer in addition to the other toiletries so I can look nice for pictures afterwards and visitors, depending on how long my stay is. I'm assuming that breast pads are a must with the nursing bra or cami too?

·
Registered
547 Posts
. But do most ladies enter the tub naked?
I asked my doula this question (she's attended many births at the hospital I'll be at) and she said that most women have something on top, and sometimes the bottom. By transition they really don't care and all modesty goes out the window, but they usually start with something on, at least for the top.

Oh I guess I forgot that DH is bringing swim trunks in case he gets in to the tub.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I'm assuming that breast pads are a must with the nursing bra or cami too?
YES! I came back here to suggest nursing pads. :)

I have my babies at night and by morning my breasts are enormous and overflowing with milk. I know some people say it take a few days for milk to come in, but that's *never* been my experience - even with my first baby I had tons of milk in less than 12 hours.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My last birth I was given those depends full underwear. I loved them so much. They took any pressure off and I didn't have to make sure I had a pad in correctly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is so weird.. Am I the only one who gets really cold in labor, especially during transition??

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I was named in the betting tub in the hospital for quite awhile before transition. I'm not that modest and I didn't want anything on. I'm a naked neither, definitely more suited to homebirth.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I feel like nurses and doctors see naked people all of the time and so if I do end up naked in the tub at the hospital it's really not the end of the world!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I really tried to stay dressed the whole time and wore a bra top in the tub. I felt like a never-nude from Arrested Development.

Reactions: drarmywife

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
One thing that popped out is considering bringing a "real" camera if you want to take quality pics of the labour and birth process and new babe or if you'll be content with smart phone pics.

I would also leave the pacifier at home especially if you anticipate a short stay. Any suckling should be on mama for the first couple days at the very least to ensure quality latch and abundant supply.

Otherwise I agree everyone has great suggestions and your list is solid! Exciting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts